Hok Paint Needed

sscovill

Hey Guys,

This may sound odd, but I need just a little bit of HOK paint...just enough to paint the neck of the guitar I'm building.

Since this paint isn't cheap, I'd rather not buy a quart, use half of it and then have the rest sit around for who knows how long.

I thought I'd take a chance and see if any of the paint gurus might have what I need in a smaller amount.

Specifically, I'm looking for Platinum Pearl (PBC-42) and some reducer. Maybe a pint of each since I'm only doing the neck and headstock.

So, if anyone has some and would be willing to sell it to me, please let me know.

Thanks,

Steve

Edited by sscovill

:D Dunno - my experience with HOK is very limited, and I only have a gravity feed gun. Jeremy (LGM) should know, though, I think he's used it quite a bit, so maybe he'll let us know what he thinks.

BTW, you do have a safe setup for shooting component paints, right? That stuff'll kill you if you're not careful! :D

Actually...no. I don't have any sort of adequate set up, but I don't have much of a choice.

I only need this neck painted so it's not worth putting the money into a "proper" set up. Know what I mean?

:D Dunno - my experience with HOK is very limited, and I only have a gravity feed gun. Jeremy (LGM) should know, though, I think he's used it quite a bit, so maybe he'll let us know what he thinks.

BTW, you do have a safe setup for shooting component paints, right? That stuff'll kill you if you're not careful!  :D

do it outdoors and you'll be fine...i think...idk...i've painted cars without masks and i'm living to tell about it lol...i don't think i'm lacking in brain cells...i don't think i'm lacking in brain ceellss...siiiidddooontttthinkkki'm alkcinginbrainsellslslsl

The problem really isn't with the HOK base, if you made a small portable paint booth with ventilation and wear a respirator, the problem is with the clears. What are planning on clearing with? HOK clears need forced air vent and everything else. Does it have to be HOK? Auto Air Colors makes some good quality paint that is water based. All you need there is a particulate mask. But you still need to clear.

Yes, my bad - the Shimrin bases aren't polyurethane, so no isocyanates in them, but I simply assumed you'd be using a poly clear! If you're using a lacquer clearcoat you probably aren't as likely to cause yourself dire injury, although xylene and toluene aren't exactly good for you, either. And don't forget that nitro lacquer is basically a high explosive dissolved in a mix of flammable solvents, so that's something else you need to be aware of - ain't paintin' fun??!? :D

you won't need a pint, not even close, I can paint 3 or 4 guitars with a half pint of base, if you use more than that you're not using it right.

But it has to be cleared. The base coat is a urethane, just not a 2 pack urethane like the clear.

Anyway, unless you have a decent spray gun, spraying HOK is a waste, particularly with the metallics, the flake won't lay properly and will look crappy.

The best advice would be try to find a kustom painter in your area who uses HOK products and see if he'll paint just the neck and clear it for you. Check with your local harley dealer, they'll probably have somebody they can recommend, if you need to buy HOK products, try www.coastairbrush.com they sell smaller quantities.

Here is a post I made on jemsite when somebody was told they could spray the clears with JUST a mask......

"Well, you keep doing that and lemme know how you feel in another 10 years.

2 Part paints are more than toxic, they are f*cking deadly. They are iso-cyanates and REQUIRE, not just recommend, REQUIRE full body coverage and artificial forced air supply. You can spray them with a mask only and think you're protected but you're not. This **** not only attacks respiratory system, but nervous system as well. It can get into your system through breathing, but also through skin absorption, eyes, ears, everywhere. I wouldn't dream of spraying this stuff without FULL protection. Not only that, it is illegal to spray it in your "yard" or garage without a properly filtered spray booth. I don't know of a single State of Province that will permit more than 0ppm in the air when spraying. You spray it in your yard, neighbor complains, EPA kicks your ass immediately.

Personally, I don't care if you want to spray this stuff with JUST a mask, but do NOT recommend that scenario to other people. I remember the first time I bought some, I asked the guys at the paint store if I could spray it with just a carbon filter mask regulated for Iso cyanates, their response was "yup, if you want to die"

The other issue with these paints is they are cumulative poisons, your body will never cleanse them, they build up until you die. They are Iso Cyanates, that is they release a cyanide compound upon flashing.

Like I say, you can spray them all you want, but that is horrible advice telling somebody they can spray them in their yard with just a mask. Even if you don't care about your own health, unless you live out in the country, think about your neighbors and their health. A garage isn't enough, your basement isn't enough, and the yard sure as hell isn't enough.

Sorry to sound so abrupt, but I've been painting a long time, I have a lot of friends who are phenominal painters, and I know a lot of great painters who have died before 50 due to not knowing the dangers of these paints."

do it outdoors and you'll be fine...i think...idk...i've painted cars without masks and i'm living to tell about it lol...i don't think i'm lacking in brain cells...i don't think i'm lacking in brain ceellss...siiiidddooontttthinkkki'm alkcinginbrainsellslslsl

that was just meant as a joke...yeah should definately wear a mask at least if not a spraying suit

I had the body painted with HOK Platinum Pearl but didn't have the neck ready at the time. The painter was supposed to do the neck for me too, but has now backed out of it.

If I don't use the same product & color, the neck won't match the body. Thanks for the advice about the Harley shop, LGM. I'll give 'em a call.

If I can't find anyone locally, would anyone here be willing to help?