can bolt on neck take a tune-o-matic bridge?

Actually, the type of bridge you use has nothing to do with the type of neck you have.

Sort of....

Just because you have a neck-thru, doesn't mean your limited to use a certain bridge, and vice versa.

If you already have a guitar with a TOM bridge, it's very likely that the neck is at an angle (to compensate for how "tall" the bridge is). If you put a standard "Fender" style bridge, it will be too low.

And if you have a guitar with a "Fender" bridge and decide to switch to a TOM, then your bridge will be too high.

If you're starting new construction, then it doesn't make a difference.

Of course, you have to approach your project differently, depending on the style of bridge you go with.

And if you decide on one, but change your mind in the middle of your project, you'll probably be screwed...

yeah, the angle thing really messes me up. i can't find any information on the angling of the neck to use a TOM. is it possible to angle a bolt on neck so that it could use a TOM? i haven't started yet so i'm still open to all options. i think i'll try to go with what's simplest, which so far seems to be a fender style bridge and bolt on neck.

any comments and opinions would be appreciated. :ph34r:

Isn't it possible to reccess a TOM just like a Floyd? And thus avoiding the need for a neck angle, and making it easier to switch to a Floyd later (or the other way around; building for Floyd and then reccessing the TOM)?

is it possible to angle a bolt on neck so that it could use a TOM? i haven't started yet so i'm still open to all options. i think i'll try to go with what's simplest, which so far seems to be a fender style bridge and bolt on neck.

Yes it is - as hundreds of thousands of the cheaper Les Paul et al copies show - including Epis with bolt-on necks.

How - I don't know - I have not seen it made clear as yet on the forum. I personally prefer the fender bridge anyway.

:D

You can recess a tunamatic, but you need to ensure you'll have enough break angle, and you'll also not be able to reach the intonation adjustment screws. If you have a bridge with thumb wheels you can also forget about adjusting the height :D

Calculating neck angle is not hard. I'd recommend you beg, steal (no!) or borrow a copy of 'Build your own Electric guitar' by Melvyn Hiscock, which covers the issue in clear concise terms. This isn't my answer to every question... honest!