Any Tutorials On How To Reshape A Headstock?

anyone have any links of a headstock being reshaped

ex: p-bass to a mockingbird headstock

Well, what do you need to know?

I've reshaped two already -- first thing I did was figure out my design and whether it would fit on the existing headstock.

Then I traced the outline on the headstock, put masking tape on the inside of that to keep the finish from chipping up (not an issue on one, important on the other)

Then I took a rasp and started working away at it, going nice and slowly until I reached the shape I wanted. Sanded it smooth. Applied my logo then clear-coated.

On the other hand, if you have to add wood to the headstock to get what you want,

Have a look at these photos

And here's the original project link

• 4 weeks later...

Simply draw out the shape you want on it, cut with a hacksaw, sand it smooth to at least 320, refinish that part of the neck after you put masking tape on what's already finished, as well as the fretboard. Just did such a job yesterday with no trouble at all!

Hey maiden69, that neck looks awesome with the painted fretboard!

Edited by Kyle Cavanaugh

Simply draw out the shape you want on it, cut with a hacksaw, sand it smooth to at least 320, refinish that part of the neck after you put masking tape on what's already finished, as well as the fretboard.  Just did such a job yesterday with no trouble at all!

Hey maiden69, that neck looks awesome with the painted fretboard!

Hacksaw? I was too scared to use a hacksaw....I just used a rasp and took it little by little. The wood pretty much just crumbled away too, it was very easy and went really quickly.