Marshall Mg 100

bcjim

I posted this in another forum and thought it may have been the wrong one....sorry but here it is. I just recently bought a new Marshall MG 100 half stack from a local music store. The day after I got it, it started making this awful noise like it was coming from inside the head. I took it back and got another head. 3 days after I had that one it started doing the same thing. The guy at the music store said that they would just fix it and it would be ok. Maybe it's just me but if I pay for something at a new price, I want a new product. Needless to say they said I couldnt get my money back even though it has a 5 year warranty. So he told me if I wanted to he would replace it with a new Fender Metalhead half stack. It is a 550 watt hybrid amp. . Has anyone ever played on this new Fender Metalhead? I can get it brand new for 900.00. I would have to pay an additional 250.00 for the fender which is actually about 400.00 off regular price. I always thought Marshall was great quality but now I'm begining to wonder.

mg series are notoriously bad amps, i personally think some of the worst on the market. marshall makes great amps, just not those ones.

i would march in there and demand your money back, i mean its been how many days since you bought the amp? a good business should give you a refund for AT LEAST 30 days, if not more.

i would stay away from that fender too, it seems a bit shoddy to me.

agreed. mg series aren't that nice sounding imo, and since its my first glance at seeing fender trying to do something metal, its still iffy. If it was a tube amp then i would definitly want to try it because i love fender tube amps, and it would be nice to see how it would handle against a mesa boogie, which isnt my cup of tea when it comes to the ones ive tried with clean and distortion (doesnt sound all that full). anywyas, id go in and ask for your money back, and they should give it back to you if its less than 30 days, because guitar stores have to guarentee their products work, and back that up, otherwise they lose business.

-Jamie

I've never seen a music store that will give you your money back, except MARS or Guitar Center. My local store even has a sign up at the register saying "All Sales Final, In Store Credit on Returns". Sounds like the guy's trying to upsell you on the Fender.

There's not much you can do except make a scene in the store, which then you have to balance either making a point or going to jail when they call the smokey. Or you can take them to small claims and see if you can get your money back that way. I've found that it's easier to get blood out of a turnip than to get money back from a small-business.

I think the lesson here is caveat emptor, and research before you buy. This is like, the 20th bad story I've personally run across about the MG series amps. I definitely won't be purchasing one for myself. Sorry man.

thanks Paul. i'll give it a look.

I really think Fender could pull off some of the best metal amps, and metal guitars if they shift their market slightly. i've tried a few fenders with seymour duncan humbuckers and they're just not good at all, and so far I find fender amps to have the better clean compared to boogie and orange, of course theres many more amps to try! hehe.

-Jamie

I doubt Fender's going to mess with their core product line anymore to build "metal" guitars short of a few artist sig models, like the Dave Murray Strat. Since they now own Charvel and Jackson, they can use those brands for their mod/metal guitars and Fender and Guild for their classic/vintage style guitars. Shoot, they even have EVH signed on for Charvel, and don't forget his contract with Peavey on the 5150 amp is over. I wouldn't be surprised to see a Fender 5150 amp coming out in the next year or so.

i don't have any personal knowledge of those amps but i do own a music store and customer service is important to me and should be to others. if you're adamant about a refund talk to the owner directly..explain the situation and if he doesn't do right by you explain in a non-threatening way that you'll report them to the better business bureau and their local chamber of commerce. if they don't make it right follow up on your threat.

on the other hand if they actually can fix it to your satisfaction and you end up with an amp that you like you might come out ahead of the deal by going that way.

crafty: DOH! i forgot completly about jackson and charvels haha. but still, i have yet to play a nice jackson or charvel here in Toronto, plus they can still make metal amps :D one reason why is cause im not too keen on mesa boogies clean. Whats that about anyways? I like the mesa distortion somewhat, but not the clean, i hate the fender overdrive but love the clean! Gah, can't we all just get along?! lol

-Jamie

Woohoo, we're really hogging the thread now. I think Fender has some of the best clean and the best bluesy tube amps for the money. Having said that, I played a Mesa Lonestar last week and the clean was tight. It's a good amp worth looking at if you want some nice clean sounds. But hey, Soldano and Rivera make some nice clean amps for about the same scratch too, so there's a lot of good options. Personally, for jazz clean, there is no substitute for the Roland Jazz Chorus. Love that CLEAN clean when I need it.

Weren't we talking about Marshall MG's before? :D

if you're adamant about a refund talk to the owner directly..

The owner is the one that said "No Refund"makes me wanna take it down there and throw it through his front window. I'm not the type to take things politely when it comes to my money. So I guess I'll go the better Business Bureau route. Do you thing Marshall Would do anything if I called customer support?

Doubt it. If you want your money back, that means Marshall would be helping out a customer who wants to abandon them. I think you may want to get a hold of your state attorney general's office. Usually they have a consumer protection office and one letter from the AG to that store owner may have your money back in hand sooner than anything from the BBB.

I've personally found the BBB to be almost as worthless as the chamber of commerce in most places. The BBB has no ability to penalize bad business owners or file suit to get your money back. But if the state AG gets involved and finds the owner violated some sort of consumer protection law in your state, the wheels of justice would move pretty fast, my friend.