My Second Project

Hi there,

This is my second attempt in guitar making and it's faster and better than the first.

It is a neck-thru guitar with maple neck, Imbuya (brazillian walnut) wings and ebony fretboard. Dimarzio super distortion, Schaller fixed bridge and Grover tuners.

Front.jpg

Back.jpg

Routed.jpg

Heel2.jpg

heel3.jpg

The neck was sahped with chisels and files.

I have already drilled the holes for the tuners and cut the headstock but I don't have pics of it yet.

damn that's looking pretty freaking nice lee... i really really like that body shape (kinda looks like a bass, but that's sweet) and you seem to do very clean nice work..

however, i should tell ya, i don't think that's imbuya... i'm from brazil, and have a guitar with an imbuya top and am building another two from a long board of imbuya and it is a dark, long grained wood, looks nothing like that...

imbuia.jpg

mine's even darked than that, i'll try and get a picture of it

edit- i think i sounded a bit rude up there.. i know jack about wood really, it's just that i recently bought a large board of imbuya and have been staring at it for a while, plus my main guitar which has an imbuya top... that's some nice looking wood either way

Edited by dansk

Looks great lee! Great attention to detail so far (except you're using the chisel upside down :D )

I agree that your wood does not look like imbuya.....I've had 2 imbuya basses. They were both dark, tight grained wood like a mix between mahogany (feel) and black walnut (color).........FWIW Your's looks like maple that has just started to spalt but is not soft yet. I lost a few maples here last year that looked very similar when I cut them up. They were still hard but had those beautiful stains running through them where the water had been seeping through the bark and starting the decay process prior to their demise.....

Looking forward to more pics and progress.

no it is imbuya.  It's just the sapwood. The heartwood is the stuff that you would see most commmon and the stuff that you are refering too.  But that is imbuya.

What he said :D .

I'm sure it's Imbuya, and I have chose this piece of sapwood with just abit of heartwood to it because I love the way it looks (reminds me of black korina).

I wish I could get some spalted maple around here. I bought this piece from some arabic wood suplier which is very nice but very hard to comunicate with because his Hebrew is as good as my arabic, and my arabic suck.

What is it with me holding the chisel upside down? :D

About the shape looking like a bass, I'm a bass player.

All I have left now is sanding and aplying oil and I'm done.

Oh and dansk, you didn't sound rude at all, I appriciate your comments.

What is it with me holding the chisel upside down?

LOL.....I used to hold mine that way but found I made too many mistakes and cut too deep. I flip mine now so the wedge is against the wood. I can't pull as much wood but my mistakes and gouging have gone to near zero.

No offense, I was really giving myself a hard time more so than you, but of course you didn't know that.... :D

• 2 months later...

Finished this guitar a few weeks ago, but didn't have a camera until yesterday.

Maple neck, spalted Imbuya body, ebony fretboard, Grover machines, Schaller bridge and a Dimarzio super distortion.

More to come when I finish my exams.

Guitar004.jpg

Guitar005.jpg

Guitar006.jpg

Guitar007.jpg

Guitar009.jpg

Guitar010.jpg

Hey man It came Out Realy Well

But im not realy likeing the back electronics cover other than that deadly work man!

And It's good to see guy's from the shredder Over Hear :D

!!METAL MATT!! :D