About The Tutorial On Adding A Fingured Veneer Top

Refinishing a nice setneck Lawsuit Les by Hondo II. I saw the tutorial on adding a 1/20" maple veneer. The illustrations showed the process being done to what looks like an Ibanez Jem. AT first I didn't think I'd be able to do it to my LP because of the carved top, but with the amount on contouring there is on a Jem I'm starting to think that the job wouldn't be that much more difficult. Any input would be great.

At the risk of sounding like a smart ass (tho I'm really not)

I would say that if you have to ask the question, then don't even attempt it.

Doing something like that is for people that have previous experience with veneering and would be steeped in the subject already, and those people wouldn't be here asking that question.

In other words, I think someone experienced at veneering could do it, and someone who doesn't have any experience couldn't do it.

I have lots of experience in veneering, years and years worth, and I wouldn't remotely attempt it without a vacuum bag and a scrap body/veneer to run a trial shot one once or twice.

There's nothing easy about veneering in my opinion, it takes time, patience, and lots of practice to get really sweet superior results, there's a lot that can go wrong with veneering.

It would probably not look as good but it might be possible to veneer over compound curves. Here's the concept: Take a sheet of paper and place it over the top of the guitar, as you try to lay it down to fit exactly on the top you will have to fold it or wrinkle it to get it pretty smooth. Take the paper off and cut the folds off. use this as a template to cut your veneer. This way you don't have to have your veneer roll up on you. Of course there would be crazy issues with actual gluing probably and you would have to have the veneer cut perfect but it could possibly work. Just a thought. Of course I would try it with cheap scrap first. If more explanation is necessary let me know.

I still like the rice wine approach even though I haven't tried it. seems a speaker builder found a way to do convex and complex curves bending thin woods by soaking them in rice wine first. Something about the property's of that particular wine did the trick without harming the wood.

Course you still need to let it dry before gluing it on :D