Purple Heart

I have some purple heart sitting out in my shop/garage (probably the worst place to have it, living here in Canada :D) and it seems to me such a good idea to be used for fretboards!

Originally, i talked to one of the shop teachers at my highschool and he told me purple heart is one of his favourite woods, but when sanding i must wear a respirator because its dust and fumes are highly toxic. Im not sure if hes full of **** or not.

So! Am i digging my gave by using this or is it a good idea?

Thanks,

Rob

I belive it has been used for fretboards. Im not totally sure as to whether or not you will have to hard finish it like a maple fretboard.

As for the sanding dust being toxic, the place I get my supply from says its not toxic but that doesnt mean you shouldnt wear a dust mask when sanding as you always should. Personally the dust doesnt effect me and i use purple heart quite a bit

MzI

Okay Sounds good guys thanks alot for the info. However, if this will get dirty, what kind of finish do i apply to it? I have basically everything you can imagine in spray equiptment and I have the ability to purchase any type of paint or chemical like that through my school.

Thanks,

Robbie

Purpleheart most certainly can be used for fretboards.....even the splalted sapwood will work well. It is hard and very stable in use, as you probably already know.

When working with any wood, certain precautions should be taken. Although purple heart is not considered to be toxic, the use of a dust mask would be wise. I have been told that the tiny white streaks that are sometimes present in the p-heart is a form of silica.

Here is a link to a chart of woods and their toxicity.

http://www.susquehannawoodturners.org/Toxic%20Wood.htm#p

Purpleheart makes real nice fingerboards. I use it a lot too. the dust doesn't bother me any more than other wood dust, but dust mask is always a good idea. Be careful of the slivers. Purpleheart is real hard and the slivers will getcha.

-Doug

A friend of mine uses "Armor-all" on pupleheart. It does cause some finishing problems, but it has a UV blocker that keeps the color good. He makes jewelry boxes and hand mirrors and such, and I've seen some that are a couple of years old and still look good. Just wipe it on and let it dry real well, then seal it.