New Member, Latest Project

Dino.. you're absolutely welcome here and if you have information to share, that's what it's all about. Probably a lot of people misunderstood your reason for posting. It's like "hey look at this.. cool paint job.. shiny object.. wanna know how I did it??... .. you can buy the book here from this guy for a mere 19.95.."

This forum is about sharing information, and you're posts looked like textbook guerilla marketing techniques - so i would imagine that people perceived that you were pushing this guys book rather than offering helpful advice.. fair or not, that's kinda how it seemed. Maybe it's because in about every post you keep using the buzz words like "factory Finish" and "amazing" and in a couple cases, the website...

Do I expect you to spill the info from the book here? no.. you paid for it and the guy selliing it probably wouldn't appreciate it. I haven't bought the book because I figure the tutorials are no different than ReRanch or any other places that teach you how to do a good rattlecan finish.

The bodies look amazing, however. Thanks for sharing the pics.

Ya know, it's really hard for me to comprehend why some people can be such a-holes when someone comes along and offers them a great, inexpensive way to achieve a great paint job.

Ok, but we can get more information on this site than in that book. Some of the folks on this site can write a book based on what they can teach us. Plus, this site is free.

You're both jealous at the fact that some kid has come along with a can of spraypaint and is producing paintjobs that you could only dream of.

That's childish and untrue. Spend some time looking at the finishes achieved by members of this board. You'll see finishes that are a little more invovled than spraying some paint out of a can and buffing it out.

Ok, I'm going to use the same quotes as Cudbucket here because I think it needs to be addressed a bit more

Ya know, it's really hard for me to comprehend why some people can be such a-holes when someone comes along and offers them a great, inexpensive way to achieve a great paint job.

One thing first, the same info on that book is in the pages in the forum! If you don't believe me take a look at the pinned topics on the tutorial section, And people here are not aholes, they are defending the forum since there have been a few idiots that have come here, copied the info that is available FREE OF CHARGE to any member, and printed out their little fancy book on how to paint a guitar and made a profit out of our members ideas, trial and errors. I won't say that that book is one of thenm 'cause I don't know and I won't take my time to go to the site and checked it up my self.

You're both jealous at the fact that some kid has come along with a can of spraypaint and is producing paintjobs that you could only dream of.

And I don't know why we are jelous since 3/4 of the people here uses spray cans to paint their guitars, to include me, and I think that it is total crapthe fact that you are producing paint jobs that we could only dream off, try to pull this one with that book. And since they are all painted with spray cans, I got a few more I will like you to see.

squier

Green thing

Blue

5150'sh Epi LP 1, 2, 3

And the holw issue about EVH suing, it has happened already were his lawyers have harrased people by painting guitars like his, (but the main thing is that they sold them)

Take it how you want it.

I think we should just let this thread die. He came here to push a book that he either wrote or is being paid to pimp. He got our attention, got a little riled by our quirky Kyle, and left in a big cloud of dust.

EVH spray can finishes don't impress me much anymore. Especially the so-called EVH Art Series that are taped-up personally by Ed and sell for $10,000. The regular Art Series that sell for $2,000 aren't any better of a deal, especially when I can buy a Warmoth basswood body and achieve the same effect for around $180 in parts, spray, and tape.

I was looking forward to exchanging techniques,

exchanging?

exchanging your painting ebook for our money?

i was under the impression people come here to SHARE (not sell) tips,advice etc.

not tease us with amazing results then say we have to pay for the method

I actually think i am going to pick up a copy of this book, just curious what it can teach me. After all its only 20 bucks,i spend more then that at lunch every week so why not, and it is a book i an keep around forever in case i forget something. I might just type it up or make copys and post it here for all you guys to see whats so special (if anything) about it. Ill keep you posted on it.......

Do tell us what you think.  But no need to violate copyright.  :D

Greg

VIOLATE VIOLATE VIOLATE

there is a need, people like me who have no income. (actually $20 a week but thats for beer) but from reading these sorts of things would benefit greatly

i bet half the tuts are from books, somebody down the line payed for it then VIOLATED copyright

did dino get to you greg? oh no whos next.....

Edited by borge

Nope, not at all. I think despite his attempt to make us feel guilty, that he WAS pimping the book a bit overmuch.

On a personal level? I really don't mind. I just don't want PG to get into trouble over it.

As for tutorials, you raise an interesting point worth responding to! -->

If you learn something from... say, the book in question... and then teach us what you learned, but use your own words and your own images to do it, then you have not broken any copyright laws! That's how we're able to have tutorials and share information no matter what the source was. Because we haven't copied the part of the source that's protected by law (ie. the author's words and images).

Works out great. :D

So, if Duff Beer Man does the same thing, you won't hear ME complain. :D The other thing that worries me is that the author of the finishing book probably isn't making money hand over fist. I have no idea how much work he put into it. But until I hear that he's broken any laws himself, I'll extend the benefit of the doubt and say that he should be paid for his work, not ripped off.

Anyhow, I don't have huge personal issues. I avoid pirated software like the plague, but I have a few downloaded MP3's. I buy magazines like crazy (and subscripe to Guitar Player), but I've photocopied TABs from friends before. So, although I try to do things the legit way, I'm not a saint and I'm not a preacher. I mostly just don't want PG or Brian to get into any sort of trouble.

Greg

I came across this book in my wanderings when I started my first finish job...I can't believe there's anything new in there that isn't available anywhere else.

Maybe it's helpful having all the information gathered in one source, sure.

Another thing: looks like the book is oriented to re-finishing already finished guitars.

So you're starting out with a factory finish, you're just painting on top of it, right?

That immediately solves a lot of the issues involved with grain fillers, sealers, primers.

So don't be jealous guys. Besides, I'll take Maiden's work over that anytime--at least he builds the guitar too!

As for the "buzz words" like "factory finish" or "amazing" ... that's how I speak and if I had been given half a chance to participate as a member of this forum, I'm sure you all would have seen me use these same "buzz words" to describe YOUR very own projects as well. Unfortunately, it doesn't look like that's going to happen.

Sincerely,

Dino Bonanno

CustomGuitarsYouCanDoWithoutMyHelp@comcast.net

Oh really? You started by telling the forum as a whole that we're jealous and can only dream of getting finishes like yours.

And if you came here to "exchange" ideas, go ahead and exchange! Don't point us at the damn book! Tell us how you did what you did.

Not pimping? You're "kiss off" post, which you claim is your last has your web address in it!

Somehow, you're not appearing as very sincere.

Dave

I actually think i am going to pick up a copy of this book, just curious what it can teach me. After all its only 20 bucks,i spend more then that at lunch every week so why not, and it is a book i an keep around forever in case i forget something. I might just type it up or make copys and post it here for all you guys to see whats so special (if anything) about it. Ill keep you posted on it.......

Hey, why don't you donate the $20 to the forum, then make a copy of all the tutorials placed here, print them and have a much better book? Or just download to your HD. Believe me there ain't nothing fancy in that book that you wion't find in the pages here for free.

The only thing I like is the different templates that he sells on the site, or we can talk to Brian to get more patterns, I will like a tiger one, or the new Zakk one.

Hey, why don't you donate the $20 to the forum, then make a copy of all the tutorials placed here, print them and have a much better book? Or just download to your HD. Believe me there ain't nothing fancy in that book that you wion't find in the pages here for free.

The only thing I like is the different templates that he sells on the site, or we can talk to Brian to get more patterns, I will like a tiger one, or the new Zakk one.

Amen.

I love the call out on this one. Back in the day I pimped my varitone on the epiphone forum, I got beaten down by one so called expert.... this guy was a moron but I spammed thier sacred place on the internet. looking back it was a good learning experience about marketing. Go try and spam the MIMF... Deb probably will come kick you A$$.

oh yea painting comes with experience just like everything else in life...