Flame Drop Top. How can it be executed?

I would like to throw a nice flame or quilt top on my RG project guitar like on some John Suhr or Tom Anderson models (not the thin paper-like veneer that I can press onto body with some bags of sand. Yes, I read your tutorial on universaljems.com last year:)). Is there any way to perform this task without using some fancy and expensive machinery? The top would be 4-5 mm thick.

well just buy the wood, and plane it so it's nice and uniformely thick and smooth and glue it to the top of the body using some clamps and some 2x4's on they're sides so you get like a couple nice clamps going on and then clamp all the edges and for the forearm curve...well i guess you're going to have to figure out some way to iron and bend the wood or something if you don't get a peice thick enough.... ?? i duno, hope that helps...

Erm...

What's a drop top?

:ph34r:

Erm...

What's a drop top?

A "Drop Top" is when you have an unusually thick top on a guitar, that actually follows the curves (such as the armrest) of the guitar. Normally, if you add a nice quilted top to a guitar, and then start to carve it, sooner or later you'll "run into" the body wood.

And to bend a 1/4" thick piece of wood isn't easy...

But it's do-able.

Now, as we're on the subject of Andersons, can someone explain why they're so expensive???

Erm...

What's a drop top?

A "Drop Top" is when you have an unusually thick top on a guitar, that actually follows the curves (such as the armrest) of the guitar. Normally, if you add a nice quilted top to a guitar, and then start to carve it, sooner or later you'll "run into" the body wood.

And to bend a 1/4" thick piece of wood isn't easy...

But it's do-able.

Now, as we're on the subject of Andersons, can someone explain why they're so expensive???