Custom Drum Building

I am looking for a site that has good stuff for custom drum building like shells and hardware and also information on how to build them completely if anyone knows any it would be a great help thanks

www.ghostnote.net :D

Wow, I wish I still had all my links. Keller drum shells are the standard almost completely across the board. There are also several suppliers of hardware and coverings out there. Just google "drum parts", "drum hardware", "drum covering", etc. Ebay has some good deals on shells from time to time. Let us know if you start a project, not guitar related but cool all the same! A drum set has been on my list of things I'd like to build for a while.

Have you thought about making a electric drum set. I played around with some a while back using Piezo element from those buzzers. wire them into a jack plug.

Really simple to make the pad itself. Just a round disk of mdf , a metal plate and a rubber top ( i used a practise pad rubber, like the ones you fit over your set to keep the noise down)

Only thing is you need a drum box, which is fairly pricy but loads of second hand one around.

once you have these you can do what you like, easier to transport, and you can make your own drum sounds, and even hook it up to your computer sampler etc...

Travis

Ps just found this link

piezo drum link

Edited by S.A.

Most custom builders buy Keller shells. Retail, you can buy kellers from Precision Drum (google, youll find it) and google "drum parts" as was said. On the wholesale end, google for "World Percussion" and you should find them.. They are a distributor for Keller shells, as well as several brands of hardware, cymbals, pretty much everything.

If you're wanting to build your own, google (yes once again) for "build your own drums" and you'll get this guy hawking a video. If you watch his samples though you'll see how he does it. All he's doing is making a mold out of 2 plywood discs with a spacer between to give a depth.. Then he's buyint 1/8" poplar finish plywood which you can order anywhere, and rolls it and glues it with laminate glue. You do 3 layers or so of this and you have a pretty decent drum shell.. All you have to do is get a router outfit to do the bearing edges.. which is just a laminate trim setup with a 45 deg. bit.

I'm a drummer and have wanted to build a set for years.. what keeps me from it is the hardware. By the time I add up lugs, hoops, rods, spurs, etc. for a basic set (i'm a 4 pc player) it still comes to over 7-800 bucks with shells. Building a guitar is much cheaper :D Good luck though, i'm sure it would be a lot of fun.

The cost of hardwar is what has kept me from doing it too. I figure ebay is the best way to collect little bits over time. I'll get around to it some day I suppose.

Here is the best link for drum supplies. The company is owned by one of my friends and he has everthing. If he doesn't have it, he can get it, and if he can't get it he can probably have it made. He has an ad in the back of Modern Drummer every month and deals with a lot of decent bands. If you can drill the holes yourself and the finish, you'll save some money.

He got his start back when Stewart McDonald tried selling drum parts. It didn't go over too well, so they decided to sell out their inventory. Andy found out about it and made an offer.... they agreed.... and the rest is history. He started the shop in his bedroom and now has huge shops in Jackson TN and Nashville TN. Super great guy to deal with and knows everything about every drum made.

Here is the best link for drum supplies.  The company is owned by one of my friends and he has everthing.  If he doesn't have it, he can get it, and if he can't get it he can probably have it made.  He has an ad in the back of Modern Drummer every month and deals with a lot of decent bands.  If you can drill the holes yourself and the finish, you'll save some money.

He got his start back when Stewart McDonald tried selling drum parts.  It didn't go over too well, so they decided to sell out their inventory.  Andy found out about it and made an offer.... they agreed.... and the rest is history.  He started the shop in his bedroom and now has huge shops in Jackson TN and Nashville TN.  Super great guy to deal with and knows everything about every drum made.

Yes that site is the best i had found.. I just couldn't remember the name.. Thanks for posting that. Definitely check them out.