Johnny B. Goode

Southpa

I dunno, this is more of a trivia topic I guess. I was just curious as to what song has been the most played/recorded so far? I did a bit of looking around for Johnny B. Goode and here is the list so far. Some are familiar to me and some I've never heard before. Maybe someone could add to it. :D My favorite versions are by Frank Marino & Mahogany Rush (awesome tone w/ a light flanger effect) and the live Hendrix (he just growlllls it out).

Chuck Berry (of course) 4 times

Peter Tosh

Alvin Lee (live)

Jo-El Sonnier (Cajun)

The Beatles (live)

Jimmy Buffet (live)

The Grateful Dead (live)

Johnnie Johnson

Stray Cats with Carl Perkins

Jimi Hendrix (live - awesome)

Ten Years After (live)

John Denver (huh?)

U.P. Wilson

The Balham Alligators

Jerry Lee Lewis

Eddie Cochrane

Al Kooper (instrumental)

Cidade Negra (live)

Andres Calamaro (in Spanish)

Julian Lennon w/ Chuck Berry

Frank Marino & Mahogany Rush (awesome)

The Pink Fairies

Los Suaves

Johnny Winter (live)

Johnny Rivers

Judas Priest

Elvis Presley (live)

The Grateful Dead & Hot Tuna (live)

ACDC (live)

Twisted Sister (live)

The Scorpions (live)

Fleetwood Mac w/ Jeremy Spenser (live)

George Thorogood & The Destroyers (live)

Elton John

Dr. Feelgood (live)

Jerry Lee Lewis w/ Rory Gallagher, Alvin Lee & Albert Lee

Marty McFly & The Starlighters

Edited by Southpa

don't forget the sex pistols, they sort of get halfway through it and then turn it into roadrunner from memory.

cheers

darren

I was gonna add the Sex Pistols but got beat to it. James Taylor, believe it or not, with the Flying Machine and The Holy Modal Rounders (my personal favorite) and Run DMC? The bluegrass guys? I may not have that name right but they did RAP/SOUL bluegrass-style.

I remember! They were the Burnes Brothers!

Edited by thedoctor

I was gonna add the Sex Pistols but got beat to it. James Taylor, believe it or not, with the Flying Machine and The Holy Modal Rounders (my personal favorite) and Run DMC? The bluegrass guys? I may not have that name right but they did RAP/SOUL bluegrass-style.

I remember! They were the Burnes Brothers!

Run C&W. "That sweet soul music the way God intended ... bluegrass style."

That's it!!! Run C & W! I have two of their albums they say they never made! What a great bunch of guys! Check out the dude they put in the fat-suit. On their videos he bounces his belt-line and MOON-WALKS at the same time! I almost threwup I was laughing so hard! Excellent musicians, if you had not noticed.

In my honest opinion, Johnny B Goode is one of the most requested songs when playing out in small taverns and such, along with Wipe Out, Mony Mony, and of course Every Rose.

Johnny B Goode is a simple song really, and it's a song that you can be very versatile (spelling?!?) with. You can lead here and there and drag the song out forever. I love playing it, and our band has a blast with it. We do a medly with it and Move It On Over that goes over great.

Lizard_King

• 4 weeks later...

Star Dust is the most "ripped-off" song, for sure. They use the tune for commercials, jingles and lame soundtracks daily! There are a bunch of BIG time contenders in the holiday music genre. Have Yourself a Merry, Chestnuts, Jingle Bells and Silent Night all have over 250 versions on record.