yo duff beer man

don't feel so bad for not knowing what the difference looked like, i had no idea until this thread! (and at least you know what it stands for, i have no idea :D i was going to ask but thought i might get a bunch of crap and smart a$$ed answers!! :D )

ie:

alcoholics annonymous need jerky

cheers

darren

I won't do another thread for this, I'll ask here. Are there any tutorials about converting from non-AANJ to AANJ? I reckon I'd just shape the neck and body accordingly, find right sized screws and screw it down?

But I guess it's more complex than that.

EDIT: Also, is there a way to seamlessly refinish only the sanded part?

----------

Jimbo

Edited by JimRayden

I won't do another thread for this, I'll ask here. Are there any tutorials about converting from non-AANJ to AANJ? I reckon I'd just shape the neck and body accordingly, find right sized screws and screw it down?

But I guess it's more complex than that.

EDIT: Also, is there a way to seamlessly refinish only the sanded part?

----------

Jimbo

nah that's all there is too it, shape the body, shape the neck to match, redrill new holes.

Here is good example of neck conversion.......

that can work with 24-fret necks, since they have an overhanging fretboard that provides room to glue that extra block of maple in at the back of the neck heel. this gives roughly the same area of heel to neck pocket contact, after you carve away half of the old neck heel.

but this doesn't work so well with 22-fret necks. they don't have an extended fretboard, so there is no room to glue another block onto the heel. so if you carve down the front of the neck heel, you're making the area of contact with the body much smaller. that will make the overall joint weaker and kill some of your sustain.

I have a 24-fretter. Yay.

Although, I just realised, the routing of the neck and neck pocket wouldn't help too much. The problem is, I have an LP shape and I have no use of the upper frets since I can't keep my thumb hanging over the neck when I reach there. The body comes in the way too soon. I also need to get rid of some wood at the cutaway part. I decided to first sand the finish off that area and start carving the surroundings of the neck pocket until I find it comfortable. It mostly needs carving on the backside, so the front wouldn't be too modified.

Is that a good idea?

I'm afraid the refinishing wouldn't blend with the original though.

-----------

Jimbo

but this doesn't work so well with 22-fret necks.  they don't have an extended fretboard, so there is no room to glue another block onto the heel.  so if you carve down the front of the neck heel, you're making the area of contact with the body much smaller.  that will make the overall joint weaker and kill some of your sustain.

I think with a 22 fret neck it would be easier to do what ESP and Jackson do with thier neck joints and just angle ( changing vertical thickness, not width )them to make them smaller on the playing side.