Body/fingerboard Gap?

Hi,

I have just received my body/neck from warmoth (my first warmoth order) and on the whole I am every bit as pleased as I hoped I would be :D The Koa veneer has a flame I didn't even know existed and the quality of construction is amazing, as is the finish.

Anyway... I am just a bit worried because I tried sitting the neck in its pocket, and it seems to sit a bit high...

I can't be sure, which is why I am posting here; to get some opinions from more experienced people and maybe get some guidance on how to check for sure.

fb_gap1.JPG

That is the a shot of it. I am mainly worried because I had it routed for a recessed original floyd rose, so with that in mind I would have thought the neck would sit a bit lower than it does...

Being a showcase body I didn't really have the option to get the contoured heel, so having a neck that only sits up out of the pocket sorta of makes that a bit more of a heel to have to deal with. I manage with my strat, so I have no worries that I will learn to roll with it, but this seems even chunkier than the strat haha :D

Any advice would be appreciated,

- Dan

PS: I really am very very happy with what I got on the whole... it must be such a godsend to have a company like this operatng in your home country!

Also, here is another shot B)

body-neck1.JPG

Thanks!

Yeah... and maybe after I get it all assembled (I havent received all of the parts yet) it will be fine... but neither my strat or my LP Junior style guitar have a gap that big, and like I said... I had just thought since it was a recessed floyd as well...

:D

- Dan

All strats with fretboard overhangs sit up above the body like that, some more than others. But you're right, with a recessed Floyd there may be a bit of a gap (Q: why was it in the "showcase" to begin with? Hmmm....)

Lay a straightedge along the neck so that the end overhangs the Floyd rout, then measure how much distance you have to the bottom of the rout. Take your Floyd and measure the height of the saddles from the bottom. Compare the measurements and that'll tell you how much you're off.

(Q: why was it in the "showcase" to begin with? Hmmm....)

Not sure? Warmoth throw heaps of bodies into their showcase, I didn't realise there had to be something wrong with them? Either way, this body looked awesome to me without the flame in the original pics, so I am really stoked now that the flame has come out under lacquer :D

marksound must be right because I have that same gap under Warmoth necks without pickgaurds. I never use pickgaurds so I guess I considered it normal.

And you've never had any problems?

Thanks for your help all, I will try the measurements as suggested... only problem is, I dont have my tremolo yet. Is it possible anyone can measure the distance from the base of their original floyd rose to the top of the saddle like erikbojerik suggested? That would be a great help.

Cheers,

- Dan

Thanks mate,

You live in the states though... go buy one :D

Between postage costs and tax and customs duty and quarantine and some other stupid fee that regards me as a commercial importer (sorta), I ended up paying like 30% of my order on top... and that really sucked, because that ate into my parts money a lot more than I was planning on :D But once I get that money together i'll be buying a Bartolini ZBS-81/75 set and a floyd rose (not sure if I will go the original yet..).. all gold!

Still, I am so happy with what i've received that I may just do it again...

- Dan

Jivin, nice that you finaly got it. The gap like others said looks normal. And yes that showcase have a lot os nice guitars and necks that are at about 5% less than if you order it. I asked when I ordered my neck and they told me that it has a lot of reasons, from a customer that order and then called canceling after they began, which sucks because they still charge you almost as if they shipped it. Or in you r case I, they shipped to the customer, and he didn't like the figure or some weird reason and returned it. And they said that sometimes they have some extra wood around, and just put then together, he said that those are usualy the ones that are put together without any routs on them, which are minimal.

The over hanging fret was done to make it so you could replace a normal Strat 21 fret neck with a Strat 22 fret neck without having to mod the neck pocket. So that over hang is normal. As far as the neck height, you won't be able to see if it's too high until you have the bridge with you, like erikbojerik said in an earlier post. If you get the bridge and find that it's too high, then your going to have to sand the back of the neck some to lower it, or route the neck pocket a bit more. I personally would mod the neck though if it was me. Very nice looking guitar though!!

MaTT Vinson

Mine was one of those... I chose the pickup, bridge and control routing. However I did order the neck from scratch.

In hindsight I feel like a damn fool for not asking myself, but I was told that even for unfinished showcase bodies, adding the heel contour after production wasn't a possibility (at least not without paying a substantially higher price which he didnt know)... so I sort of put it out of my mind... but now that I have it, I really wish I had have pushed for it, because I have to say this heel feels a bit chunker than your average strat... and the strat is just about my limit, so any millimeter over that I think I feel :D

I absoulely cannot wait to get this thing set up. One question though while i have a thread open...

Anyone have any opinion on what the best "licensed" floyd is? Particularity the ones that dont cost $160US. I mean if I can get the cash I will go the original floyd, but this is really my first floyded guitar and money is somewhat scarce atm.... so if there is a decent quality licensed one out there I might give that a try, and later down the track I could always upgrade it.

Also, is there tutorials anywhere on shimming (is that the term) a floyd? This fingerboard sports the usual warmoth 10"-16" compound radius, so as per some advice from some poeple (i think you were one maiden) I was going to set it up by shimming the bridge ti 16-18" somewhere, and I really would like to do it myself if possible.

Thanks again for taking the time to put a word in though Maiden, and others,

- Dan

• 4 months later...

I'll post in here rather than in a new thread because this is already kind of dealing with my question.

I'm going to be building my first guitar (hopefully within the next year) and will be using a Warmoth neck. I don't plan on using a pickguard so could I route the neck pocket deeper to get rid of the overhang gap? Or would that cause problems with action and bridge height?

Edited by bugman96