What Device To Tune Harmonics

mkat

i've got a friend that tunes pianos for a living. i'd been invited to a front porch jam at his house and when i arrived they were already playing. i sat down on his right with my banjo and stared strumming rhythm. i could tell i was out of tune and reached for a tuner. he grinned and said to keep playing. he tuned my banjo while a loud song was going on and when i put the tuner on it later it was dead on...now that's an ear.

i've got a friend that tunes pianos for a living.  i'd been invited to a front porch jam at his house and when i arrived they were already playing.  i sat down on his right with my banjo and stared strumming rhythm.  i could tell i was out of tune and reached for a tuner.  he grinned and said to keep playing.  he tuned my banjo while a loud song was going on and when i put the tuner on it later it was dead on...now that's an ear.

Nah, he most likely tuned it using the song as a reference point....

When you tune as many guitars as a pro repairer/luthier/whatever, you develop a good ear. I can pretty much nail a E everytime, straight off the "quik winder". But, i can tune up to 30 guitars in a day sometimes.

A scope is what you want then but be warned, you'll drive yourself nuts trying to attain perfection. It's the best means to come as close as possible but I virtually stopped using one on setups because I kept trying to get perfect and it never happened. Close but not without resorting to a happy medium.

Perry - I agree about the accuracy thing -- I personally believe guitars' tunings should be mildly tempered, too, though.

Although, the newer Petersen tuners DO have tempered guitar settings, too.

Mostly, I was just being droll. :D

Greg

Nah, he most likely tuned it using the song as a reference point....

When you tune as many guitars as a pro repairer/luthier/whatever, you develop a good ear. I can pretty much nail a E everytime, straight off the "quik winder". But, i can tune up to 30 guitars in a day sometimes.

i'm sure he used the song as a reference but he tuned it while i was playing it and while the others were still playing as well. i am a pro repairer/luthier/whatever and i can nail a tuning in my shop pretty close by ear but not with a bunch of background noise..i was impressed..

not arguin' by the way..just sayin' :D