Finish Ideas

I have a Radius body shaped like a joe satriani model. i want to refinish it but i donno what color should i do. maybe i should try to do a swirl? even though i never did one i would like to try it out once. or any color that would match my js 2000 ideas please!

I'm sorry did someone say Radius? I was sleeping.

The Radius design is perfect for a flip flop color. I have one that I did in "Magenta/Gold" flip and it's great. The way the curves are make the different colors come out at wierd angles.

The reverse bursts are my favorite, I've been wanting to do one with a flip flop paint underneath for the see-through part. Also metallics all work well because of the shape. Solid colors are somewhat wasted on this guitar because they minimize the contours.

A swirl would be neat, but I've seen some multicolor swirls on Sabers and Radii, and they've all been disappointing. I think the swirl is at home on the RG/Jem, and the Jem sort of ruined it for all the other body shapes, because it's what we're accustomed to seeing. Perhaps a dark blue/purple/silver/charcoal/black swirl, for a more subtle, smoky look, rather than red/white/green/etc.

Also I've always wanted to do a frosty pearl white one, with black or gold hardware. And maybe a maple fretboard.

I can try, but flip flop usually doesn't photograph true to color. Flip flop is just another way of saying that the finish changes colors in different lights. So in one direction the guitar looks goldish and then if you move the guitar or the light source, it will look magenta. So since the Radius has lots of contours, parts of the guitar can seem to change colors while other areas remain the same.

My friend has a good camera that should be able to show it. I just have a webcam here.

I have that (P/G) on a 540 Power. It's pretty good, but I wish it was purple/blue instead. The green sort of clashes, but it's still a really great look.

A hint is not to spray too much of the color coat. If you use too much it lessens the color changing ability. Also try not to have to sand into the color coat. In other words, get the black nice and smooth, apply your color coats, and then get some clear on before you start sanding back.

IMO, a highly contoured body is a must for this paint scheme. I put together a copy-caster and painted it with the green-purple coloring. It looked really nice in direct sunlight, but inside the house it just kinda looks charcoal grey. Some of that may have been due to over painting on the color coat, but all the same the only time it really comes alive is on the contours.

holy f*k how do u do that??? thats so freakin awesome!!!!!