Feedback

xbonez182

Hey, I'm playing an Iaenz rg170dx and when I'm practicing, I keep geting feedback. I seem to get feedback even if I'm about 10-12 feet away from the amp. I just wanna know if this is a pickup problem or whether it's supposed to happen. It stops when I switch off my distortion pedal.

Any ideas?

Bobby

MSN> xbonez@blueyonder.co.uk

:D

• 2 weeks later...
Hey, sorry I took so long to reply. Its sort of high pitched, but not massively high pitched. How else can I tell if i need to pot them? Just to be certain

Bobby

How much gain have you got on your amp?

To much distortion and your going to be feedbacking (in my experience anyway)... try wacking down the gain a little and see if that works

~~ Slain Angel ~~

Edited by SlainAngel

Hey, I don't put gain on the amp, all done through the trusty boss md-2 pedal. It seems that this is the prob sometimes, as if I'm standing too close to the amp, even when its 10-15 feet away.

MD-2? i have an MT-2 and there very good in my opinion... i do experience problems occasionally where if the gain is to high on that... it will cause nasty amounts of feedback regardless of how far away you are :D

Try knocking down the gain on that a little and see how it works out

~~ Slain Angel ~~

Does the feedback continue when you damp the strings with your hand? If so, either the pickups need potting or you have a mounting isuue that's allowing the pickup to vibrate. If not (if it's actually the strings vibrating uncontrollably), turn down the amp before you go deaf. :D

Hey thanks all, the feedback stops when I dampen the strings as far as I know to. Can't turn down teh amp though coz I have to keep up with one loud drummer lol. Yeah it is MD-2 I got, very nice pedal, does its job really well, especially when you step to it from a zoom 606. I hear the MT-2 is good, but haven't heard one yet.

Bobby

Hey thanks all, the feedback stops when I dampen the strings as far as I know to. Can't turn down teh amp though coz I have to keep up with one loud drummer lol. Yeah it is MD-2 I got, very nice pedal, does its job really well, especially when you step to it from a zoom 606. I hear the MT-2 is good, but haven't heard one yet.

Bobby

I Used to use my MT-2 an awful lot on stage before i got my Zoom 3030... ive never heard an MD-2.. might have to find one soon and have a go :D

From what i know (and thats very little :D) if the string stop feedbacking when you put your hands on the strings... suggests that it is just to much gain on the amp or pedal correct?

If im rite i think its time to get yourself a new amp... or hit the drummer B)

~~ Slain Angel ~~

Edited by SlainAngel

If im rite i think its time to get yourself a new amp... or hit the drummer biggrin.gif

What amp do you have? You either have a very small amp or you really need to hit that drummer :D

That or put some ear plugs in before you start shouting, WHAT? When people try too talk too you :D

Edited by Godin SD

Does the feedback continue when you damp the strings with your hand? If so, either the pickups need potting or you have a mounting isuue that's allowing the pickup to vibrate. If not (if it's actually the strings vibrating uncontrollably), turn down the amp before you go deaf. :D

Perhaps its a physical problem with the amps circuitry? im way out of my depth here really so ill leave it to lovekraft etc to work out BUT... could it be a circuit problem (something failing) causing it to feedback?

~~ Slain Angel ~~

I don't know anything about the Peavey 100, but is it a two-channel amp? I would run any effects into the effects loop (if one is present) or into the "clean" channel of the amp - that will help cut down on feedback. The Ibanez RG guitar that you have, it's an inexpensive model, right? I'll bet those pickups are microphonic as can be!

Just my two centavos. :D

I don't know anything about the Peavey 100, but is it a two-channel amp? I would run any effects into the effects loop (if one is present) or into the "clean" channel of the amp - that will help cut down on feedback. The Ibanez RG guitar that you have, it's an inexpensive model, right? I'll bet those pickups are microphonic as can be!

Just my two centavos.  :D

I really should of thought of that... if you have any effects send/return channels use em... it will (should) cut down on the amount of feedback going out onto the final channel...

Ive played many RG's and havent experienced many problems Paul Marossy so i doubt its that... but who knows?

~~ Slain Angel ~~