Lr Baggs X-bridge

marksound

Last week I ordered a L.R. Baggs vintage style Strat X-Bridge from Musician's Friend ($118.99). I didn't get the Ctrl-X preamp (budget, you know), but I already have a Fishman outboard preamp. Installed it Thursday evening and took it to rehearsal yesterday.

The drummer and bass player, who didn't know what I was doing, heard me playing as they arrived. They thought I was playing my Ibanez acoustic through the PA until they saw me playing my Strat. I'm pretty impressed with it.

Looking forward to the gig this weekend ...

Oh yeah, I've installed about 4 X-bridges and they are great. You can't beat for great acoustic tone. Do yourself a favor, go and try it out through an acoustic amp. If you ever get a change to plug on into an SWR California Blonde, you'll have a Taylor in disguise. They have an enhancer knob, mess with that until you get rid of the high end fake tone.

Congrats.

There's a bloke on ebay who sells them for $99.99 with shipping anywhere in the world. He's very reliable (i've had 3 with no trouble now) and the shipping is only like 5 days. Just incase anyone wants to join the x-bridge club :D

Yeah I've seen it too. When I have spare money (won't be anytime soon) I'll certainly try it out. By the way, if I have a vintage-style vibrato (six-screw one), is it difficult to put a more modern one in (the one with two screws)?

Yeah, you could put a modern two pole one on without a problem. Wouldn't look odd either as the original holes are covered by the base plate. But, as marksound says, they are different string spacings, so you might notice a difference playing it :D

pr3va1l, they are tremolo's so you will need a spring cavity B) but look at the T-bridge, same thing but in tunomatic form :D

Oh yeah, another bit of advice. Don't buy the Ctrl-x. Its really not very good! Do yourself a favour and put the money towards a second hand acoustic amp and a Y cable! I've currently got the new behringer acoustic DI (ADI21) which is very good and only about $30 :D sounds amazing through a PA.

Sweetwater.com has a 1/4" stereo plug to 2 1/4" mono jack Y cable for $4.25, with free ground shipping in the US.

I'm using the Fishman Model G outboard preamp (don't think they make it any more), but I'd sure like to have a Baggs Para Acoustic DI (can use 48V phantom power to save on batteries) and mount it on the pedal board.

I've had my eye on the Marshall AS50R, but I'll check out the SWR.

I have had the marshall for about 2 years and IMO it sounds better than any other acoustic amp I've tried (except for this But thats WAY out of my price range :D ). I diddn't really like the blonde. My second favrite was the fishman. But the marshall gave me the best true acoustic tone. It also has great features. The only thing I don't like about it is the reverb. It's like no matter what note you hit the reverb sounds exatly the same. It's like adding a tail of whooooooosh to any note or chord. It can be usful for somethings but I was prety unimpressed with the reverb.

Basicly I would either go with the fishman or the marshall.

Edited by Godin SD

Just a follow up: I used the Baggs X-Bridge on my MIM Strat Saturday night, and all I can say is Holy $#!+, Batman! At sound check I was setting the EQ on the PA channel I was plugged into and I heard a guy say, "Where's that acoustic coming from? I only see electrics up there."

But he's the guy who also said, "That's just like the Peavey I used to have!"

I would do it up like this,

Wire your electric outpt too one side of the stero jack and sire the acoustic output too the other side of the jack and use a regular stero TRS cable that goes into a stomp box you make that splits the signal so that it goes to two outputs, one electric, and one peizo. Just wire up a foot switch too switch between the two so all you have too do is hit one foot switch and your going from electric to acoustic.

Edited by Godin SD

Thanks guys,

You've convinced me to get a Baggs for my Kinman Blueprint Strat

I've had a Baggs in my Gilet 00-45 acoustic for years, and I always liked it...

I was lucky...I picked up a Baggs Para Acoustic DI at a pawnbrokers auction for AU$60 (US$45)

Should work well with the X-bridge...

Thanks for the info

BTW..does anyone know if they do 'em in black?

Edited by mutronboy

well, i know i had seen something useful to that somewhere.

on parker guitar's website: http://www.parkerguitars.com/media/pdfs/or...ire_diagram.pdf

the wiring diagram of the original Fly.

auto (i think) switching stereo output and stuff, it's all in there

(even thoug i don't understand anything to these things.)

EDIT: ok this one has a stereo/mono switch. The newer parkers all have an auto switching one... anyone know how to do it?

btw: This should be quite useful =D

Edited by Pr3Va1L

Wire your electric outpt too one side of the stero jack and sire the acoustic output too the other side of the jack and use a regular stero TRS cable that goes into a stomp box you make that splits the signal so that it goes to two outputs,  one electric, and one peizo.  Just wire up a foot switch too switch between the two so all you have too do is hit one foot switch and your going from electric to acoustic.

I'm running a TRS Y-cable with 2 1/4" mono jacks. I already have plenty of cables to run where I need to go.

The magnetic pups are wired to the tip, the piezo is wired to the ring. From the Y-cable, the mag side goes to the pedalboard; the piezo side goes to my Fishman Model G preamp, then to the PA. I just use the original and the added volume controls (removed the middle tone pot) on the guitar as an on/off/blender type thing. It works amazingly well.

Wire your electric outpt too one side of the stero jack and sire the acoustic output too the other side of the jack and use a regular stero TRS cable that goes into a stomp box you make that splits the signal so that it goes to two outputs,  one electric, and one peizo.  Just wire up a foot switch too switch between the two so all you have too do is hit one foot switch and your going from electric to acoustic.

I'm running a TRS Y-cable with 2 1/4" mono jacks. I already have plenty of cables to run where I need to go.

The magnetic pups are wired to the tip, the piezo is wired to the ring. From the Y-cable, the mag side goes to the pedalboard; the piezo side goes to my Fishman Model G preamp, then to the PA. I just use the original and the added volume controls (removed the middle tone pot) on the guitar as an on/off/blender type thing. It works amazingly well.

That works fine but the only difference is mine will allow you too switch between electric and acoustic with a single stomp. Something I need.

Good find on the switching jack, Pr3Va1L

I checked with Baggs...they don't make black ones...oh well

Problem with the Kinman is it has a circuit where the second tone pot dials in the neck pickup

(so you can get all pickup combinations)

I suppose I can use a double-ganged pot to get around that problem...

tone control & neck p/up dial on the one pot...heh

and change all the hardware to chrome...dang!

mmm...don't really use the tone pot much anyway..think I'll ditch it

Edited by mutronboy

Only the T-bridge is available in black.

The way i have wired up my x-bridge on my petrucci rip-off is to get a spdt (on-off-on) switch, and connect the middle tab to earth, and run a wire from the output/hot wire (connected to the jack) of each of the piezo and magnetic pickup to the other two tabs. Then in each side position, either the piezo or magnetic is on, and in middle both are on.

Theres another thread somewhere that i started on stereo switching. A switching jack (switchcraft model 12A, thanks lovekraft :D) is what i've used.

If anyone wants more details, i'll make a wiring diagram.

:D

Right, without an onboard preamp, you can't run both the magnetic and piezo signals through a single mono cable. They're different impedences and will make a very interesting noise together :D

The way i have mine set up is to have two jacks. A stereo jack, which works with a stereo cable, and another mono jack. Now, when nothing is plugged into the mono jack the stereo one works as a stereo. But when something is plugged into it, the acoustic/piezo signal is routed through that, and the stereo jack is turned into a mono jack for the magnetic only.

In terms of switches, you don't have to have a switch, but is you want to go straight from say... acoustic to... full on dual recto sound, you'd be hard pressed to mess with two volume knobs B):P

Would a wiring diagram of how i do mine be helpful to you? If so, let me know and i'll put it together for you.

I know most guitarists are loathe to use them, but it seems like

the old Alembic idea of using cannon plugs might be the way to go...

As long as you've got a couple of spare leads made up you

shouldn't get into trouble...and always keep one in the case..

It is, after all, a more reliable professional standard...

I've had a bunch of guitars go through my hands with cannons fitted..

There's the regular 3-pin plus earth and the 4-pin...

I'm pretty sure there's 5 and 6 pin ones, too

It would just give you more scope, and less fuss...you could have piezos,

magnetics, send & returns for floor effects, extra contact mics...whatever...

I bet they even make a switching female socket, too

Anyway, I've got to refinish my strat with graphics before I do this

(I hate the irridescent pink...heh),

but I might grab an X-bridge first 'cos I think $100 is a bargain...

Ummmm do't think that preamp will help you mate! You need one that can mix impedences (like the LR baggs Ctrl-X or a fishman one of which the name i cant remember right now). They cost as much as the actual bridge, which is why i say they aren't worth the money. Plus, If you've ever ran an acoustic/piezo through a normal electric amp, you'll know what i mean when i say it sounds awful.

question: can we actually use a stereo jack with a mono cable and still get both sounds? 'cause i won't be using a y cable at home, only for shows...

so will i need some kind of switch like on the Fly, or do i not need to do anything?

It's kinda cheesy, but you can pull the plug halfway out so the plug tip makes contact with the ring lug in the jack. There's your piezo output. Nowhere near high tech, but it works. :D