Inlay Leveling Opinions?

Hi all, new to the board...

I'm doing my first ever inlay project - a vine inlay on a pre-slotted, compound radius brazilian rosewood fretboard.

Am I better off buying three or four radius sanding blocks to do the leveling or can I do a good job with a leveling file?

Thanks for your input.

Hi all, new to the board...

I'm doing my first ever inlay project - a vine inlay on a pre-slotted, compound radius brazilian rosewood fretboard.

Am I better off buying three or four radius sanding blocks to do the leveling or can I do a good job with a leveling file?

Thanks for your input.

I would think you might want to get a radius blocks so the inlay has the same radius as the fretboard.

It's a Warmoth, 10" to 16".

Stew-Mac recommends switching to different radius blocks as you work your way up the board. Makes sense, but that's a $65 investment, plus the 3M Stik-It sandpaper isn't cheap. But I suppose they would be handy for leveling the frets, too.

I have Larry Robinson's book, and he uses a flat sanding block. But he's a pro...

Seconded.

Use a long sanding block (actually an 18" carpenters level) with 80 grit on oneside and 150 on the other to level my fretboards, then switch to a 6" level with 220, 400, and 600 paper to smooth it. If the mood strikes me I take it to 800 then buff with by hand with the back of a sheet of sandpaper.