Asststance On Burst Finish

Hello everyone

I want to do a burst finish like the mockingbird pictured below, but I have a few questions. I have searched the forums and read the tutitorials but I need more specific questions answered.

mockingbird.jpg

1) Do I stain the veneer black first on this one or go with the red on the plain veneer.

2) Do I stain the veneer red before doing the burst or do the dark burst first, then stain over it with the red.

3)regarding the burst, I understand the tutitorial about cutting out the shape of the guitar, using the thumbtacks, etc. But which angle do I spray the paint on? Do I paint horizontal to the edge of the guitar? or do I come at it in an angle? I am not sure I understand how to do the "poor mans" burst.

This guitar also seems to have a wide dark burst, do I acheive that by cutting the cardboard guitar smaller than the actual guitar?

I know these questions may be confusing but I would appreciate any help.

Thanks

P.S I am finishing my first guitar- a custom washburn tribute guitar for dimebag, I will post those pics soon

Alright, i did pretty much the same thing as you did, so i'll try and answer your questions. 1. That looks like it was grain filled with black epoxy, so yes, you will need to do the black - sand back technique. 2. Stain before the burst, then seal it, then do the burst. 3. Leave the cutout the exact shape of the guitar, just adjust the angle of spray, near virticle = narrow burst, lower angle = wider burst. I sujest practising bursting on some newspaper with the template on it first, to find out what angle suits you.

Good luck!

1. That guitar, to me, does -not- look like it's been grain enhanced with epoxy or anything else for that matter.

2. Apply veneer, let dry, sand flat with a wooden backer block, stain, let dry, shoot clear coats, let dry, sand back to level with flat wooden backer block, sand up to 320, spray black burst, spray more clear coats, let dry, level and final buff.

Try everything, and I mean EVERY SINGLE STEP of the process, on a little scrap piece of wood before you get anywhere near your guitar.

You are attempting to do several things that it would take an average person a year or more to perfect.

Applying veneer is not easy (to get it 100% right anyway)

Shooting finishes is not easy (to get it 100% right anyway)

Shooting bursts is not easy (until you have some practice under your belt)

Buffing out a finish is not so easy (until you've done it a few times)

...and you're attempting all this at the same time.

Keep your expectations realistic, and realize you need to do some practicing first if you want a project you will finish and keep in the end.

Take a (roughly) 8" round piece of wood, glue a piece of your veneer onto it, and follow -every- -single- -step- just as if it were the Real Thing, so your mistakes (and there WILL be mistakes) will be learning experiences and not anguished cursewords as you heave the guitar into the nearest dumpster.

i would suggest sealing the stain before you attempt the black burst like marzocchi said. that way you can just sand it off if you mess up. and do remember its not going to turn out perfect. even the guys here who have hella experience will tell you that theyve had times when they thought they couldve done something better or different to achieve better results. but most of all have fun with it and good luck because a burst isnt the easiest thing to do but im sure in the end youll be pleased no matter how many mistakes you make because the finish will be distinctly your creation.

Apply veneer, let dry, sand flat with a wooden backer block, ***stain, let dry, shoot clear coats, let dry, sand back to level with flat wooden backer block, sand up to 320, spray black burst, ***spray more clear coats, let dry, level and final buff.

What part of this didn't you get? :D

Pretty nice, and thanks for posting those links, you saved me a few hours of work, I was about to do a scrap paint test to see if the duplicolor mirage will react to DEFT clear.

I know it is too late now, but you should have beveled the edge of the humbuker rout before filling it, it is much easier to make the lines dissappear. Did you use 2 part bondo, or just the glazing putty? If it is just the putty you run the risk of shrinkage. So far so good. Keep us posted of your progress.