Deepening Fret Slots On Bound Fretboard

Hi all,

jst wondering if anyone could help me out here. Im refretting a accoustic with a bound fretboard. I am replacing the frets with jumbos and was wondering how I would go about deepening the fret slots?

Am I going to have to replace the binding? :D

Thanks for your help

Go visit your dentist. When he is drilling away at that bad tooth you can strike up a conversation about drilling, cutting and bits 'n stuff. :D Then ask if he has any "previously enjoyed" drill bits laying around that he doesn't use any more. Dentists use all shapes and sizes like ball end, square and angled bits. With sizes ranging from .25 to 2 mm. They are the best dremel bits I've ever used and the right size could easily do the job of deepening your fretslots with the binding still on.

Edited by Southpa

• 1 month later...

HAHA. I went to the dentist today and was thinking about guitars the whole time I was there. So before he started grinding my teeth away I asked him about trying some of his used bits for inlays and other similar small tasks for guitars. He gave me a strange glance obviously he never has had this question. So he replied that the reason they go in the trash is because they become dull and no longer cut teeth. He then paused and thought about it and said that even though they aren't sharp enough to cut teeth cleanly, they should be plenty sharp to cut most any wood. So he said he will gather a bunch for me, the round ones, the square ones and any others and he will sterilize all of them for me and when I go back next week he is going to give them to me.

Man I'm so glad I asked, I'm sure they will work for somethings, and they are free, I never complain about free, it's one of my favorite words. And those bits look killer, I have a feeling they will work very well. I will let you guys know how it goes when I get them. And ask if you go, it's worth a try to get some killer bits that are hard to find in that size, quality, and free. Later. Jason

I am a dentist in my day job, and I think about guitar building when I'm there too :D

From my used bits, I've found that the ones used for denture adjustments etc will fit the dremel (but there are similar bits for the dremel anyway). The shank on the finer bits for tooth preparation is too small for any of my guitar building tools. What yool are you going to use them with? Or do I need to take my guitars to work to use those bits? :D

Oh well I am not sure. Is there no adapter for a dremel type tool that would let you use the bits for teeth? The tool I would use is similar to a dremel but is run off a air compressor, it's actually my brothers. I know the bits are similar, but I thought they were made up of a stronger compond, being that they had to drill into teeth, which I would believe to be much harder than even ebony. But I don't know all that much about the bits themselves or whether they will work or not, but I have read a post where someone used them somehow and they worked well for him. It was around the same time this thread was started, I remember that because there was two threads that had that suggestion at the same time, and it struck me as a good idea.

Oh well I see if they will work when I get them, since there are a few different types I hope to get at least some that will work. Man if they do work, it would be great for inlays in my opinion. Also I was wondering being a dentist if you have heard about a drug named Zometa. I've been treated with this for osteoporosis, I'm 24 and my bones are already in bad shape, partly because of asthma drugs(steriods), such as prednisone that I had to take so much of as a kid and I have screwed up hormone levels. But anyways this drug has been linked to many cases of osteo-necrosis of the lower jaw. Doctors said any invasive surgery like tooth extraction will lead to this problem, it happens when the exposed bone hits the air. The cases have been very bad, and just removing the rotting bone did nothing but make more bone exposed thus increasing the problem. The only way around it they said was to do any major dental surgery in a hyperbaric chamber, that way the air would be uncontaminated, I guess. The drugs general name is biophosphantes or something like that.

So if you have any info on this let me know, you can just pm if so. I know there have been a number of dentists that have come across this. I'm worried to say the least, and I also need a fusion surgery on my back and am worried that this problems could occur in any other area of exposed bone, but I guess is hasn't been linked yet. Still worries me. Also if you have any ideas on how to use those bits, adapters or other ways let me know and I will look for that other thread, the one that the guy got a bunch and used them, and said they worked well I believe. Thanks for your help and I hope to hear back from you brian dds. Jason

Edited by jmrentis

I figured there was a way because I read of that person that used them. And I had thought about the chuck but I was unsure if the dremel's could be swapped, like I said it's my brothers so I'm not totally familiar with all it's features. Thanks Frank and I will look into getting this chuck soon, because even if the bits are pretty much the same, they will be free of coarse with a little bit of wear, and he is going to sanitize all of them before he gives them to me, which is good. I will still look into finding that other thread and wil let you guys know how the bits turn out next wednesday night. Thanks for the help guys, and thanks for the idea Frank I kinda got worried there that my plan was flawed. Later. Jason