The Price Of Building A Guitar

feylya

It's been said 1,000 times....building from scratch is not the way to save money on a guitar.

Ahhh...wouldn't that make it 1,001 times? :D

1002 actualy.

Spend $550 on my 7 string, and i got the top cheap at $80 with S&H.

I understand that it will never be cheaper than an import brand name, but if done right it will be 10 times better.

I think you save money by building over buying... I mean I could drop $800 on parts for a guitar; but I bet the guitar would cost over $2000 to buy from fender (or the like)...

Anyway; I was just going to ask how much you sacrifice by cheaping out on pickups? I mean sure Active EMGs are going to be better than a cheapo Mighty Mite, but how crappy is the Mighty Mite to begin with? If there's no huge difference, I'll use (a little) cheaper pups in my basses; and really cheap ones for my non-gigging axes.

Yeah there are definitely different types of people on here for different reasons. Some are starting from the low end of the price scale and think they will save money compared to a factory standard...no way; these people will usually figure this out pretty quickly. On the other end of the spectrum, yes you'll definitely save money to build (let's say) an Alembic replica instead of buying from Alembic. There are guys who build for themselves. There are the guys who are looking to turn a hobby into a viable business. There are the established pros who, with varying degrees of subtlety, use this board for advertising. And lucky for us rabble, most of the pros are nice enough to share the wealth of their knowledge and expertise.

Me, I'm a player and I'm building out of a desire to make axes with specific characteristics, so even though I'm spending at least US$500 per axe, I am saving money over custom offerings (be it Fender or Ormsby or whatever) and learning a skill at the same time. As a player, the two biggest things that I gain from building are (1) wider string spacing to accomodate my big fat fingers, (2) using more exotic hardwoods (being a sucker for natural finishes that show the figure); (3) choosing specific pups & electronic setups; and (4) having the satisfaction that comes from playing an instrument that I've built myself.

And I have a specific number of instruments that I intend to build; after that, building will only involve projects for friends and making a little scratch on the side. After all, I'll eventually need something to do in my retirement that won't drive the LOML nuts... :D