Wood Laminates?

Hey,

i was wondering where it would be possible to get some nice wood laminates... not for the top of the body but more like a small stripe from top to bottom of my body...

so, what wood should i get and WHERE shall i find it?

Example of what i mean

(from toddler68's GOTM guitar)

ex.jpg

Edited by Pr3Va1L

Easiest way is to get some good stock, true it up square, run it through a band saw or table saw slightly thick, then run it through a thickness planer to get it exactly the thickness you want.

That is MUCH thicker than veneer....veneer is like almost paper thin.

You can use veneer. I am not sure if you will find it as thick as you want. Usually veneer is good for a real thin strip of accent. If you want something closer to 1/8" or greater, resaw it and run it through a thickness sander. Most of your local hardwood dealers will have some veneer ( not sure what type you need ).

Peace & Good luck, Rich

Hey,

i was wondering where it would be possible to get some nice wood laminates... not for the top of the body but more like a small stripe from top to bottom of my body...

so, what wood should i get and WHERE shall i find it?

Example of what i mean

(from toddler68's GOTM guitar)

ex.jpg

I'm not sure what you're asking but those "stripes" you show in the pic are part of the body. It's not a veneer that's glued onto the body. It is the body.

I do not have a large ammount of experience with wood working, but have alot of experience with finding things on the net. I only searched around a little before school on the main site's supply section and found a couple useful sites, some might require resawing but I think the look is worth it.

www.rockler.com sells veneers and 1/8" thick sheets of various exotic and domestic woods. You should be able to find something there that fits the bill.

I've used Rockler for several different projects and their wood selection is unbelievable. I do custom cabinetry along with lutherie (who needs sleep, sleep when you're dead :D ) so they are quite familiar to me.

They have several different thicknesses and species of wood available for laminating and they carry several of the "traditional" guitar building woods. (i.e. rosewood, ebony, maple, mahogany) and some exotics that would give you a very unique look.