Dime Tribute Guitar

dimeproject26.jpg

Ok I need to know Ever thing you did to get this :D

1.what did you use to seal the wood grain

2.exactly what type Of primer did you use

3.exactly what type of a base coat Is the Black

I need brand name's and everything I've been trying for a weak to get that same flat black And The color you just got in that pic Is the color I need :D

I see it in my head :D

And welcome to the forum that's some Great looking work!

!!METAL MATT!! B)

Matt that flat black is primer, I think you missed this pic

http://www.bayareafan.com/guitar/pages/dimeproject27.html

duplicolor black primer.

Otherwise it's Dupli-Color Mirage Purple/Green. I have a tele I haven't finished with the exact same colors, interesting, why was a different primer used than the base coat typically provided with a Mirage kit? :D

Well I did see that but I did not know It was primer! thanks Maiden

But I wounder how would this work as A finish by it's self Im assuming

It would take a few more coats, but would it work?

Because By look's of what He did it would be a deadly and simple finish

to get and What type of a gun is that

I can build Deadly guitar bodies but finishing Is not where Im at yet but this look's good for me

Sorry about all the Qustions but I'll never know If I don't ask right Maiden :D

!!METAL MATT!! :D

Hello Metal Matt

I used minwax sanding sealer to fill the grain. I found the brush on sealer to be a bit of a pain in the ass. For my second project (which is underway while my clear coat completely dries and hardens on the dime) I used Deft spray sanding sealer which I highly recommend. Much easier and more level coats.

I use a gray filler primer first, to further help remove the lines of the pickup and the knob and switch holes I filled in, then went with duplicolor black sandable primer. I didn't use the one that came in the kit because I feared it wasn't going to be enough (they are small cans) I wanted to keep the primer consistent. I then sprayed on the mirage color. NOTE the mirage paint is actually a clear paint that reacts to the black of the primer so treat your primer like its your color coat. Sand it smooth, look for dust, blemishes, bloches, runs, etc. It will show on your mirage coat. I actually use 2 cans of mirage paint. The more coats-the more dramatic the color change from purple to green. Another note, I live in florida, the humidity capital of the freaking world. Make sure you do not paint in humidity above 60%, It cause horrible cloudying and had to sand, and mirage coat again.

Thanks again to everyone for suggestions and praises. I am a novice to this sorta thing but I keep learning from the mistakes I make!

Tim

Edited by AFter Forever

Ok so what Kind Of a gun Is that, and could That black be used a just A finish

Is it hard enough?

i hope thats hair on your arm matt, otherwise you're terrible at spraying paint :D lol

looks nice so far.

Looks cool!

Hey Matt, the 'gun' is just an attachment that you can get at some hardware stores. If you can't, head to an autobody supply shop, they should have some.

It just fits on the top of the can and gives you a bit more control.

That's what I think it is in the pics anyways...

http://acmehardware.com/product_detail.aspx?sku=6051155

Edited by Cracked

Looks cool!

Hey Matt, the 'gun' is just an attachment that you can get at some hardware stores. If you can't, head to an autobody supply shop, they should have some.

It just fits on the top of the can and gives you a bit more control.

That's what I think it is in the pics anyways...

http://acmehardware.com/product_detail.aspx?sku=6051155

Hey man Cool thanks have You ever worked with anything like that before

If so what's It like?

Sorry about all the Qustions but I'll never know If I don't ask right Maiden B)

:D

I know that's why I posted an answer.

Just got connected again.... got moved to a single storie house just yesterday. Too bad I got no more shed, so no painting in cold days for me.

I was going to answer about why not to use the mirage black, but he got it straight... those little cans don't cover much area, just like the mirage, but at least the mirage can be streched depending on the amount of effect that you want.

And Matt, there are flat black paints out there, why not try those. Just go to a car paint supply, they alweays have red-gray and black primer in cans.