Issues With My Kkv

Hey firstly im going to appologise for the poor quality photos... my digital camera has given up and so ive resorted to using my webcam :D

Ever since i got my KKV ive noticed its fairly hard to get good notes from the 12th fret upwards...

They often mute and bends seem impossible (e.g they die out)... i know its not my playing since ive had many people try and they all have the same problem

Tapping is impossible anywhere on the fretboard (again not my technique since on my other guitar its perfect)

Question is... is there anything i can do to fix it?

image27cn.jpg

Thanks for your help

~~ Slain Angel ~~

well, check the truss rod, see if the neck needs an adjustment, and set the guitar up, other then that I cant help you.

Heh well i havent done much adjustment to the neck/truss rod as when i brought it from Jim Marshall him self :D (he handed it to me at a guitar show) it had a professinal set up done on it..

Anyone got any ideas on how i should adjust the truss rod (e.g more releif less releif etc)

~~ Slain Angel ~~

Tried changing the guage of strings? might be too heavy/weak? Tried lowering, rising the bridge (it ifs a TOM)? etc.?

Ive used different gauge strings (and intonated after) and hasnt sorted it... ive lowered the bridge as far as i can without fret buzz to no avail.. if i go higher its worse

~~ Slain Angel ~~

it has a poor set up on it.no question about it.

and look.lowering the bridge will only make the problem worse.it sounds to me as if you don't have even a slight idea as to how to set up a guitar properly.you need to read the setup tips on the project guitar home page and follow them religeously.

it sounds like all you are doing right now is goofing around with it...hit or miss...that is no way to get a guitar to play properly.

those pictures are useless..

I wonder if the Nut has been cut wrong,

no..because then he would only have problems on open notes.

it has a poor set up on it.no question about it.

and look.lowering the bridge will only make the problem worse.it sounds to me as if you don't have even a slight idea as to how to set up a guitar properly.you need to read the setup tips on the project guitar home page and follow them religeously.

it sounds like all you are doing right now is goofing around with it...hit or miss...that is no way to get a guitar to play properly.

those pictures are useless..

I wonder if the Nut has been cut wrong,

no..because then he would only have problems on open notes.

Ive set up a few guitars with no problem Wez including the one ive built just to my left :D

I never said lowering the bridge will fix it i just mentioned that i tried it... im going to throw it at the local guitar store later and let them play... they have already looked quickly at it and are very confused since the neck seems perfect and at a quick glance they reckon the bridge was ok..

Ahh well they have it now so they can play

~ Slain Angel ~

Here ya go!

http://www.projectguitar.com/tut/tutorial1.htm

Wes is right. In general, problems after the 12th fret can't be corrected with a truss rod adjustment. The truss rod cleans up problems with the early frets. If you're fretting out after 12 your action is too low. How low is the action at the 12th fret? To get super low action a good fret level never hurts! Let us know how this turns out. Who knows, maybe you have some bizarre problem.

Well just got my guitar back and they brought the bridge up a little... indeed the action was slightly to low and now she plays nicely!

The only reasin i doubted action was i expected fret buzz... clearly i have much to learn here

Ahh well thanks for all your help

~~ Slain Angel ~~

*** CASE CLOSED ***

glad it worked out for you.enjoy your new guitar.

i have a kkv SFU v on order right now...being built as we speak.rob said he should be painting it this weekend.

Ahh she plays well good now... just finished recording an old track i wrote... sounds so much better now the action is sorted :D

Hope you enjoy your guitar Wes when you get it...

~~ Slain Angel ~~