Strat Replacement Neck

Quick question:

Can I swap a 22 fret strat neck for a 21 fret neck?  Was looking for a replacement neck for a strat body that I have that used to have a 22 fret neck.

Thanks,

Bill

Most likely not. If you put a 21 fret neck on a body that's designed for a 22 fret neck, your scale will be too short by approximately the same distance as there is between the 21st and 22nd frets.

Think about it this way (assuming you have a 25.5" scale length): the distance between the saddles and the 22nd fret is about 7.15" and the distance from the nut to the 22nd fret is about 18.35", giving you a total distance of 25.5" between nut and saddle. If you put in a 21 fret neck however, the bridge will now be about 7.15 inches from the 21st fret (not the 22nd like on the other neck). Because the distance from the nut to the 21st fret is only 17.9" your scale length will only be 25.05", thus making your scale approximately .45" too short. Granted, all necks aren't made exactly the same way so these measurements are certainly not exact, however this does illustrate why it probably won't work.

I hope I wasn't too confusing.

-Mark

Hmm...., I could be wrong but I thought that the 22nd fret was an overhanging extension on the 21 fret neck meaning that swaping necks shouldn't be a problem. Here are some exceptions to this argument:

From the Warmoth site (http://www.warmoth.com/guitar/necks/necks.cfm?fuseaction=faq2)

Roadhouse Strat® - 22 fret, no overhang

Big Apple Strat® - 22 fret, no overhang

Lonestar Strat® - 22 fret, no overhang

Nashville Tele® - 22 fret, no overhang

Fat Tele® - 22 fret, no overhang

Fat Strat® - 22 fret, no overhang

Heavy Metal Strat®

Heavy Metal Tele®

I guess the only sure way to know is to take some measurements. Anyone else know for sure?

Best Regards,

Mike.

Edited by 82DeanZ

What is the measurement from the nut to the base of the heal if there is an overhang or to the end of the fretboard if there isn't an overhang? I don't think the amount of frets is the issue, I think it's the distance from the nut to the saddles like as Mike stated above. I think I've seen 24 fret guitar at Stew Mac site for 25 1/2 inch scale and at the same time you could only have 21 frets I think. I could be wrong but this is my thought. Good luck and let us know the measurements and maybe we can help you further! Jason

82DeanZ, you are correct that if it is an overhang that it would likely work. I didn't even think of that. However, he is talking about putting a 21 fret neck where there was a 22 fret neck before, so there may not have been an overhang on it because the guitar was produced with a 22 fret neck, and would likely have the bridge placed accordingly. I'm really not sure though, whoofnagle is going to have to let us know.

However, if there is no overhang, the number of frets is of paramount importance. A 21 fret neck will have a measurement of approximately 18.25" from the nut to the heel (assuming about 1/4" of wood after the 21st fret) while a 24 fret neck will be around 19.375" from nut to heel(with that same 1/4" of extra wood). That is a 1.125" difference between the two. Assuming it's an existing guitar and the bridge is in a fixed position in relation to the neck pocket, only a neck with the same number of frets as the original will work.

Now this doesn't mean that you cannot have a 24 fret neck with a 25.5" scale. It's just that the number of frets has to be taken into account when deciding where to place the bridge. On an existing guitar that cannot have its bridge moved, you are stuck with whatever number of frets it was designed with, unless of course you have a fretboard overhang.

Edited by mrdevoe

82DeanZ, you are correct that if it is an overhang that it would likely work.  I didn't even think of that.  However, he is talking about putting a 21 fret neck where there was a 22 fret neck before, so there may not have been an overhang on it because the guitar was produced with a 22 fret neck, and would likely have the bridge placed accordingly.  I'm really not sure though, whoofnagle is going to have to let us know. 

However, if there is no overhang, the number of frets is of paramount importance.  A 21 fret neck will have a measurement of approximately 18.25" from the nut to the heel (assuming about 1/4" of wood after the 21st fret) while a 24 fret neck will be around 19.375" from nut to heel(with that same 1/4" of extra wood).  That is a 1.125" difference between the two.  Assuming it's an existing guitar and the bridge is in a fixed position in relation to the neck pocket, only a neck with the same number of frets as the original will work.

Now this doesn't mean that you cannot have a 24 fret neck with a 25.5" scale.  It's just that the number of frets has to be taken into account when deciding where to place the bridge.  On an existing guitar that cannot have its bridge moved, you are stuck with whatever number of frets it was designed with, unless of course you have a fretboard overhang.

Yes, the original neck was 22 frets. I saw a 21 fret neck that I liked, but did not know if this was just changing the overhang or did this actually change the distance to the bridge.

Looks like the 22 is what I need. Hell, maybe I will get over my fear of building a neck and give it a shot!

Bill

82DeanZ, you are correct that if it is an overhang that it would likely work.  I didn't even think of that.  However, he is talking about putting a 21 fret neck where there was a 22 fret neck before, so there may not have been an overhang on it because the guitar was produced with a 22 fret neck, and would likely have the bridge placed accordingly.  I'm really not sure though, whoofnagle is going to have to let us know. 

However, if there is no overhang, the number of frets is of paramount importance.  A 21 fret neck will have a measurement of approximately 18.25" from the nut to the heel (assuming about 1/4" of wood after the 21st fret) while a 24 fret neck will be around 19.375" from nut to heel(with that same 1/4" of extra wood).  That is a 1.125" difference between the two.  Assuming it's an existing guitar and the bridge is in a fixed position in relation to the neck pocket, only a neck with the same number of frets as the original will work.

Now this doesn't mean that you cannot have a 24 fret neck with a 25.5" scale.  It's just that the number of frets has to be taken into account when deciding where to place the bridge.  On an existing guitar that cannot have its bridge moved, you are stuck with whatever number of frets it was designed with, unless of course you have a fretboard overhang.

Yes, the original neck was 22 frets. I saw a 21 fret neck that I liked, but did not know if this was just changing the overhang or did this actually change the distance to the bridge.

Looks like the 22 is what I need. Hell, maybe I will get over my fear of building a neck and give it a shot!

Bill

What kind of body is it. Most strat body's are made for the 21 fret heels with the overhang for the 22 fretso even if it came right from the fender factory with A 22 fret it may work with a 21 fret neck .If its not a strat then i dont know.

You'll be fine. The only big name 22 fret necks I've seen without the overhang are G&Ls and some Peaveys. Everyone has been doing strat heels the same way for quite a long time, since replacement necks first came out in the 70's. I don't know what made you guys start to overanalyze this one. The only possible thing you might notice is that on some strats, depending on the neck depth, the pickguard has to be cut away to accomodate the 22nd fret. So you might see a little strip of paint there where the 22nd fret extension used to be. But if the guard went under the fretboard exstension then you won't even notice. Or a new pickguard would fix that.

You'll be fine. The only big name 22 fret necks I've seen without the overhang are G&Ls and some Peaveys. Everyone has been doing strat heels the same way for quite a long time, since replacement necks first came out in the 70's. I don't know what made you guys start to overanalyze this one. The only possible thing you might notice is that on some strats, depending on the neck depth, the pickguard has to be cut away to accomodate the 22nd fret. So you might see a little strip of paint there where the 22nd fret extension used to be. But if the guard went under the fretboard exstension then you won't even notice. Or a new pickguard would fix that.

So I can use either a 21 or 22 by what your are saying. That is cool. I just asked because I had never thought about it.

Bill

Yeah, unless you decided to put a 22 fret neck on it that was from a G&L, a Peavey, or some other guitar that had the longer neck heel and no extension.

Sometimes the pickguard issue works in reverse, too. Like if you had a 21 fretter before, you might go to put a 22 fret on there and it hits the pickguard. Or if you don't realize it you'll screw the neck down and crack the extension because it's resting on the pickguard, before the neck heel hits the bottom of the pocket. I've had people bring me those repairs in the past. :D