Octavarium

Mr.Churchyard

Oh! In my terms they are very known...

But probably it just isn't your style... The shredders on the forum probably all know it because of the guitarist John Petrucci.

When it comes to technical abilities, this band is top.

Mike Portnoy, the drummer, is just nuts.

John Myung is a really great, though underrated (and under-mixed :D ) bassist.

Jordan Rudess, the keyboarder, is really incredible. Got classic technique written all over him.

John Petrucci, the guitarist, is also very fast, precise and when he doesn't feel the need to show off sometimes also got nice ideas.

James LaBrie, singer, is also a great singer when it comes to technique, but some people dislike his voice immensely.

Their genre is Progressive Metal: They're the flagship, so to speak. Influences are Rush, Yes and so on, combined with Metallica, Maiden... And many others.

Some great songs I would advise you to check out:

The Dance Of Eternity

Another Day

Peruvian Skies

Hollow Years

Erotomania

Voices

A Change Of Seasons (fantastic 24 min epic)

A Fortune In Lies

and so on...

Everybody agrees that they are incredibly talented when it comes to technical ability, when it comes to songwriting, the public is split in two.. You either hate them or love them...

Edited by Mr.Churchyard

Dream theater rule. For people who've never heard them, the best place to start is probably Metropolis Pt 2: scenes From a Memory. Great CD :D As for the band, they're all amazing musicians, but the singers voice, well.... its annoying. But the shred more than makes up for it. Interestingly me and a few mates put together some covers (strange deja vu, pull me under, innocence faded and As i am) and they all sound wicked with a female vocalist :D

One of my friends managed to get a pre release of the new cd, and its banging. But all the songs are kinda short :s not many solos, except the closing solo on the title track which rocks B) Will be nice to see those new EBMM petrucci models when they tour with megadeth :D

Sometimes I love them, but sometimes I absolutely hate them. The singing seems to be the deciding factor... sometimes his voice just grates on my ears... 80's metal crossed with the male version of celine dion :D

- Dan

I'd never heard of them before, either.

Those titles sound awfully prog-rock wankery. :D Of course, I might just be jumping to that conclusion and revealing my bias against Dream Theatre. <chuckle> I DO think Petrucci is awesome, but I can't tolerate listening to the music for long.

Greg

Dream Theater is one of my favorite if not my favorite band. I have to disagree with the "shred band" thing. They are technically one of the best bands on the planet, but they always write great songs and always avoided un-melodic and stupid shred stuff like many of the neo-classic shredders. Their songs always contain great and memorable memories and the solo's are very melodic and well-thought out usually.

Additionally they are one of the few prog bands who succeed in fusing the most complex song structures and crazy parts to songs that are still appealing and nice to listen to and not a batch of unconnected parts.

Sure there is alot of playing that many might consider "showing off", but they never do it out of context or without originality.

Yngwie for example shows off in every song, but as he usually plays the same stuff in every solo, so it does not enhance the songs and is kinda boring.

Not falling into that trap is what makes DT so great among other things.

P.s.: No Yngwie discussion please. He IS a great player and I love many of his earlier songs, but his later solos/songs lack a certain degree of originality and often sound so uninspired.

the cover art for that cd is absolutely aweful. i don't know what they were thinking when they came up with that.

i'll be picking it up tuesday, dream theater being one of my favorite bands.

labrie's voice does seem to be the deciding factor in the band. some people absolutely hate it, but i personally like the way it fits in the band. in any other situation (i.e. ayreon's "human equation" album) i hate it. there's just something about dream theater's style that fits perfectly with his voice for me.

labrie's voice does seem to be the deciding factor in the band. some people absolutely hate it, but i personally like the way it fits in the band. in any other situation (i.e. ayreon's "human equation" album) i hate it. there's just something about dream theater's style that fits perfectly with his voice for me.

That's very true! Outisde of DT I would not prefer that style of singing. I have to add that his latest Solo Album "Elements of Persuasion" is great to. The vocals are even better there than in most DT songs and it's more metal than DT. You have to check it out if you don't know it yet.

the cover art for that cd is absolutely aweful.

I think it's awesome! :D

Thanks Mr Churchyard, for clearing that up..

Now us old-timers know where Petrucci comes from...see his name a lot..

I've heard a bit of Dream Theater a few years back, my brother was playing bass in a band

doing some DT covers.. I thought is was quite good..but a bit epic-serious sorta.. I preferred

Fear Factory...now those guys are funny... I bought the album..heh

Not many get the humour in this stuff...but I like it..then again, I think Pantera are pretty funny...

I think it stems from being a King Crimson fan...mock evil with machine-gun guitar...heh

:DWhat are the songs about....hard to tell from the titles...are they the new Yes...never could get what their songs were on about...trippy album covers though (now there's a lost art) B)

My avatar is an album cover I never released! Don't worry there are still plenty of freaks in the world, just most aren't getting published! :D

Thanks Mr Churchyard, for clearing that up..

Now us old-timers know where Petrucci comes from...see his name a lot..

I've heard a bit of Dream Theater a few years back, my brother was playing bass in a band

doing some DT covers.. I thought is was quite good..but a bit epic-serious sorta.. I preferred

Fear Factory...now those guys are funny... I bought the album..heh

Not many get the humour in this stuff...but I like it..then again, I think Pantera are pretty funny...

I think it stems from being a King Crimson fan...mock evil with machine-gun guitar...heh

Oh, don't you think... Like in "In the name of god" with the lyrics all about very serious stuff (killing... in the name of god...) at a certain point the drummer plays a morse code that says "Eat my a** and balls"... Sometimes they would play the theme from "tom and jerry" in songs, or switch instruments and perform as "Nightmare Cinema"... Heh!

I think Manowar is the funniest band ever...

Edited by Mr.Churchyard

the cover art for that cd is absolutely aweful.

I think it's awesome! :D

i guess to each his own. it's just very boring to me. the fact that they just used straight black lines to hold the balls up, that the ball pulled back wouldn't hit the others if it was let go...

i'll have to check labrie's new cd out when i get a chance.

mr. churchyard: ever listened to the commentary on the scenes from new york dvd? "without love, without truth, you can eat my ass and balls"

Wow, I was not aware that we had so many Dream Theater fans on the forum! DT is one of my favorite bands, and I've been listening to them pretty much nonstop for a couple of months.

I got Scenes From a Memory first, after hearing it at a party (yeah, my friends have pretty good taste), then after being completely blown away, I went out and purchased Six Degrees of Inner Turbulance, which I did not like as much, but it still had its moments and was much better than most of the other stuff I listen to.

Longing for more, I purchased Images and Words, Falling Into Infinity, Train of Thought, and Live at Budokan, and downloaded Awake.

Images and Words blew me away after a couple of listens (I have to listen to an album a few times for it to really register, although some I can enjoy on the first listen).

Falling into Infinity is pretty good, although more mainstream, and most of the prog is lost.

Train of Thought has the coolest album cover I've ever seen, but the music is just little too heavy for me. The vocal effects (sounds like he's talking through a distortion pedal or something) kind of throw me off, because they make it hard to take the songs seriously, although the instruments are mixed well (the guitar has a little too much fuzz, but what can you do?), and some of the riffs are amazing. I think it'tl take a little more getting used to before I can appreciate it's true qualities.

I haven't had too much experience with Live at Budokan, but it seems to be really good quality (although, I don't like some of the songs selected).

Awake is currently my third favorite album I've heard, with good prog all over. Some of the singing is lacking, but I like it overall.

So, I agree with the people here, the singing makes or breaks the band (usually), but most of the time it is pretty good.

I expect Octavarium to be a little like Falling into Infinity, in the sense that the same graphic artist designed each cover (I'm assuming this, although I have done no research :D ). I hope that they lost the edge from Train of Thought, cut the cheese on 6DOIT, and got back into their vocal/intrument interation groove found on Images and Words, and maybe a concept album like Scenes From a Memory (Is that too much to hope for?)

Anyway, I'm looking to expand my library further than Octavarium, any of you buffs got any suggestions?

Anyway, I'm looking to expand my library further than Octavarium, any of you buffs got any suggestions?

Liquid Tension Experiment I & II (Portnoy, Petrucci, Tony Levin and Rudess who at the time was not in the band)

Have you heard The "A Change Of Seasons" EP by DT? And "When Dream And Day Unite", the debut album?

The new James LaBrie album "Elements Of Persuasion" as already mentioned is really cool

I love the "John Petrucci & Jordan Rudess - An Evening With" CD. It is an acoustic performance with much improv of only JP & JR and I think it is incredible. I used it to gently wake up the people and they stood up with a smile on their face saying it was really beautiful... Great, great stuff.

Well then there are many other side projects of DT members... Like: Frameshift, Transatlantic, Office of Strategic Influence (O.S.I.)... Worth to check them out.

Beyond DT and side projects... Well...

Oh wait, it is time for me to go and get Octavarium... Well must be off. Later!

Oh wait, it is time for me to go and get Octavarium... Well must be off. Later!

Jeez!

I went to the record store, it was one hour after it had opened, and Octavarium was sold out... Luckily I got to a store where they had still four copies left...

Now I have to rip it and put on my mp3player becuase I have got no discman with me...

Anyway... Seems as there is an orchestra...

But I'll tell you when I have heard it.

I got it today, haven't gotten all the way through it yet but I have to say that they really piss me off when they use parts of old songs in new ones.

Track 1 in particular

Well it's Mikes project of a collection of songs going through all the twelve (?) steps of the anonymous alcoholics program... The Glass Prison on SDOIT, This Dying Soul on TOT, and The Root Of All Evil on Octavarium... So it is all one long song in the end, and you can count The Mirror as part of it too...

But I must say that this far this CD has been a pleasure. Now I need some time to get to know the songs better, but I guess I like this already better than Train Of Thought and Falling Into Infinity, and probably also SDOIT.

Buy the original cd before jumping to wrong conclusions! :D

my conclusions were jumped to from the cover art i saw on MP's forum. :D

i didn't have time to pick the cd up today, so i'll be getting it tomorrow.

(I have to listen to an album a few times for it to really register, although some I can enjoy on the first listen).

same with me. images and words i didn't really like at all on first listen. same with train of thought and symphony x's divine wings of tragedy. now those are three of my favorite albums.

I got it today, haven't gotten all the way through it yet but I have to say that they really piss me off when they use parts of old songs in new ones.

Track 1 in particular

Man....do you know Dream Theater at all? This is the third song in a story about Mike Portnoys alcoholism and I think it's very cool that they quote each other. Especially the way they do it: They never directly quote it but usually change the quote somehow.

my conclusions were jumped to from the cover art i saw on MP's forum.

Then sorry for accusing you! Hehe....the real CD's cover has a proper rope for each ball.

Yay! I got the last copy at Borders yesterday. Sorry to all the Ann Arbor Deam Theater fans. I've only been able to listen to it three times so far, but I really like it so far.

The first song sounds like a mix between Train of Thought, Falling Into Infinity, and 6DOIT, continuing the saga of Portnoy's alcoholism. I like it, but the singing isn't the best for most of it.

The second is a ballad that never seems to really pick up. The singing is beautiful (not my style, really, but I can really appreciate it). I do like the song, but it doesn't deserve the five-something minutes they gave it. Maybe if Portnoy had an insanely complex drum beat it would be better?

Now, the third song is killer. It sounds like the mix quality of Scenes from a Memory, with the vocal/instrument relations of Images and Words, with the rough edge of Awake. Very nice.

The next four songs are some of the best on the album, but I have not been able to listen to them very much yet. It seems Panic Attack has some of the best intrumentals (great bass intro), and each song has some amazing riffs. One of the songs (not sure which) is either full instrumental, or has a great instrumental section, but on my first listen it seems that this song is the only one with a really ripping guitar solo. Maybe this is something they should address on the next album.

The twenty-something minute title track at the end is pretty good for the most part (haven't been able to concentrate much on it), but it starts out really slow. I do like some of the lyrics (it seems Portnoy wrote these, and they are clever, with a few puns).

Anyway, the album is definatly better than Train of Thought and Falling into Infinity, and it may be better than 6DOIT, but it still has the modern rock influence that I have not come to terms with. But then again, I haven't been able to fully digest the album yet, I may elaborate later.

And thanks Mr. Churchyard, I will definatly check out Liquid Tension Experiment, and their first album.