Mounting A Humbucker

Sobot

I'm starting to design and finish of stage 1 (planning) of my first guitar. I've already made the decision on the shape and all the components, neck, etc.

Here's my question. will this router template: http://www.stewmac.com/catalog/images_1lg/1094_1lg.jpg ....work?

I'm gonna have no pickguard and I will be using the mounting ring that goes around the pickup. I just don't know what those two notches are for in the template... I've never seen the mounting area of a guitar with humbuckers, and I need to know if that template will work with rings.

...I just don't wanna screw up with my expensive mahogany....

Thanks for any input.

hey, try out in a cheap wood before! the notches you mean are these carves in the inside part? these (by my known) are a space for humbuckers to be attached directly on the body I think. wait for other people to reply. c ya

yes... it's not a rectangle, it has two cutaways on either side... wow, I'm such a newbie.

I don't know if I need that or not.

Hi

If you look at a humbucker you'll see it has legs with "ears" that stick out for the height adjustment screws and springs. These "cutaway's" are hidden (just...so you got to be acurate) by the mounting ring.

BTW...I'm working on a design where the pickups mount directly...right through the back and the height adjusted under covers on the back. So on top there will only be the rectangle but on the back I'll still need to accomodate these legs.

Also...these legs are quite a bit longer than the pickup and it's standard practice to route this part deeper...probably best to check out some guitars or at least pictures of what you are trying to attempt first.

Oh, yeah....and drill out most of the material before cleaning out with the router...it will make it easier if you're new to the router

Be carefull

pete

Hi

If you look at a humbucker you'll see it has legs with "ears" that stick out for the height adjustment screws and springs. These "cutaway's" are hidden (just...so you got to be acurate) by the mounting ring.

BTW...I'm working on a design where the pickups mount directly...right through the back and the height adjusted under covers on the back. So on top there will only be the rectangle but on the back I'll still need to accomodate these legs.

pete

you mean just like a parker fly?

parkgold.jpg

from the parker website:

"Each DiMarzio humbucking pickup is secured to the body by two hex-head

screws. On the coil, closer to the bridge, the mounting screw is the screw

under the B string. On the coil, closer to the neck, the mounting screw is the

screw under the A string. Turn the screws clockwise to tighten and

counterclockwise to loosen."

guess the pickups are different...

Yeah...there are no "ears" on the parker pickups...the screw poles on the B and A strings are longer and go down into the body...I think there are springs...it's similar to the way P90's are fitted but without the extra screws.

My idea is that the pickup cavity will go right through the body and be attached and adjusted from behind...so the top look would be just like on the parker...very clean. The bridge pickup will come out in the fender style trem cavity anyway and be covered by the trem's back plate. I might elongate the coverplate to cover the neck single coil / sustainer driver and battery box...we'll have to see.

psw