Neck Thru Iceman/parker Fly/006 Hybrid

Here we go, this is my first guitar i am going to build from scratch. I have been reading this forum for a few months now and i am so impressed with all the great guitars that have i seen being finished and i want to go ahead myself.

..... a little about myself, My Name is Graham and i am 23 and i live in Glasgow, Scotland i work here My work as a general shop guy, alot of the stuff i do is repairs, Fret work, electronics, Set ups and all the other bread and butter stuff. So i have a good knowledge of how everything works and what doesnt.

The specs i have settled on (i think!)

Thru neck multi lam with Maple and either bubinga , wenge or ebony. 5or7 piece

3 aside HS

Abalone dot inlays

maple neck binding/ebony board 24 fret

limba or mahogany body (due to sound) and maybe a Maple top.

Hardtail Strat type Bridge, string thru.

oil finish on neck anyway.

This is what i bought today

1 - Adjustable Fret Slotting Saw Adjustable model #5317 (£13.74, £13.74)

3 - 3M Gold Fre-Cut Sandpaper 320-grit, 9" x 11" sheet #5098 (£0.51, £1.52)

2 - 3M Gold Fre-Cut Sandpaper 600-grit, 9" x 11" sheet #5100 (£0.51, £1.02)

6 - 3M Gold Fre-Cut Sandpaper 800-grit, 9" x 11" sheet #5101 (£0.51, £3.05)

13 - Abalone Dot Inlay 13/64" (5mm) dia. #0002-A (£0.33, £4.31)

4 - Wide Fretwire Wide/Pyramid, 2 ft #0158 (£1.99, £7.97)

1 - 8" Wooden Radius-sanding Blocks 16" radius #0418 (£8.47, £8.47)

1 - Scraper Blade Curved end, 2" x 6" #0628 (£3.30, £3.30)

2 - Side Dots, 3/32" (2.38mm) Abalone, set of 10 #0964-A (£3.59, £7.19)

1 - Spoke Nut Hot Rod 18" length #1016 (£10.21, £10.21)

1 - Blank Template 9-3/8" x 6" x 3/16" #1088 (£2.32, £2.32)

1 - Humbucker Pickup Routing Template #1094 (£3.06, £3.06)

2 - Natural Wood Bindings Curly maple #2022 (£1.49, £2.98)

1 - Radiused Fret Caul 16" radius #4373 (£2.37, £2.37)

1 - Router Bit For 0.200" Carbon Fiber Rods #4399 (£11.92, £11.92)

1 - Router Bit For Hot Rod Truss Rods #4599 (£10.98, £10.98)

1 - Fretting Hammer Hammer with plastic and brass faces #4895 (£8.80, £8.80)

2 - Carbon Fiber 0.200" x 1/4" x 18" length #4403 (£6.52, £13.05)

Whoa! Lot of Cash!

I have a router, hand planes (cordless :D) Straight edges, chisels, files,rasps Pencil :D etc. So i am nearly sorted. I just need wood!

I generally go for fairly standard type guitars Tele, strat, rg's ETC.(i always mod them in some way) But was really inspired by toddlers68's guitar and i have always fancied a neck thru.

If anyone would like to help me with the actual design a would be really honoured, the shape i have in my head is a Neck Thru Iceman/Parker Fly/006 Hybrid but thats about it. I have little experience with CAD but i would like to learn to use it to print out full body shapes in 1:1 to make templates.

So what do u think?

• Replies 76
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Sounds cool :D

I've got Iceman and Parker Fly templates in PDF format, I can e-mail them to you if you want :D they're only outlines of the body shapes but they should be useful for creating the shape you want...plus printing them to scale is a simple.

Sounds cool  :D

I've got Iceman and Parker Fly templates in PDF format, I can e-mail them to you if you want  :D  they're only outlines of the body shapes but they should be useful for creating the shape you want...plus printing them to scale is a simple.

Just got the e-mail. Thank you

icefly.jpg

you up for another version? Theres nothing wrong with Mledbetters version but I like that lower horn on the iceman! self indulgent I know :D

Do keep us all posted! Wood isnt as expensive as you think. theres several people on Ebay in the UK who sell guitar blanks and neck peices quite cheaply. Jerwood for instance does a lot of wood for about £20 a body blank depending on size.

Good luck

I like both! I am probably going to order the wood neck week and get the neck blank glued up and all planed square, then its off to actually design it! Those are both F^^%£**g Cool Designs, and i think someone else might take a shine to it, and build it also. What woods should i make up the neck with? Im gonna use an angled back Headstock 5 or 7 piece.

why thank you folks.. Honestly the parker and the iceman have very complimentary curves.. makes a nice hybrid.

You mentioned the 006 design too and I think you could incorporate that into it with the beveled carve.. use the parker and the iceman for the profile and the 006 for the carving treatment and you'd have a kick ass looking guitar body.

What is this....Iceman season!!

Personally I refuse to acknowledge the parker/iceman combination...although I suppose it works...but why change the Iceman's fabulous outline...it's like putting an upper horn on an explorer!!!!...NO DON'T DO THAT EITHER

Now, just to show there is nothing new under the sun...it has been done before and here's the link:

Parker / Iceman Build

So I guess you guy's are not the only ones to see the appeal...frankly though I dont...compared to these beauties:

Ibanez Iceman Fan Site

For another guy check out Jester's recent Ibanex Iceman Thread...

Jester's Iceman Thread

I seem to be the devil's advocate of late...I've never posted so many negative threads :D

psw

Sorry...Icemen Rule...everything else is a comprimise IMHO!!!

and...BTW...wouldn't this be better off over in the solidbody chat area???

Thanks for your coments PSW, It wont really be just a hybrid of the 2 it takes elements of both and many other things. The hardware will be different to both guitars and maybe pickups too. If i wanted just an iceman i would just build that, it would probably be easier. Thanks for your Feedback