Hope This Is Ok...

Guest gsrguitars

Guest gsrguitars
I noticed you've put in brackets nz abalone below the paua, I'd just change that to abalone, cos nz abalone isn't it's name

Paua shell is often referred to as New Zealand Abalone. Hence the NZ.

Re: Pics - good idea. I have a few necks lying around here, I'll do some different designs and post on the forum.

Cheers,

G

Guest gsrguitars
Yeah, I've heard people say that you could feel the fretware while you're playing, and on bends you get caught on the edges. It seems to me that if you thin the overlay to the point you can't feel it it's going to look thin.

Nah, it doesn't look thin... we had a bunch of people test this for us pre-launch. Everyone loved the look and the feel.

The biggest problem we had with fretware was the backing - their adhesive layer is just too thick. That and a thick coating of lacquer on them caused the problem. We tried them - and they're great so long as you're doing rhythm... but lead, nah.

Happy to report our testers did some serious shredding - focussing on the inlay material with bends / hammer ons etc... No problems!

Cheers,

G

Paua shell is often referred to as New Zealand Abalone.  Hence the NZ.

must be an english thing cos I've NEVER heard that before.

Oh and good news for inlay dudes, in about 70 years our country's new hand reared crops of paua should be ready for harvest, which will mean when I'm in my 90's, paua is gonna cost next to nothing!!! yay.

But already its cheap here, or you go snorkeling at the beach and get some that way.

And gsr, your country's rugby team is gonna get wasted!!!

Yeah, I've heard people say that you could feel the fretware while you're playing, and on bends you get caught on the edges. It seems to me that if you thin the overlay to the point you can't feel it it's going to look thin.

Nah, it doesn't look thin... we had a bunch of people test this for us pre-launch. Everyone loved the look and the feel.

The biggest problem we had with fretware was the backing - their adhesive layer is just too thick. That and a thick coating of lacquer on them caused the problem. We tried them - and they're great so long as you're doing rhythm... but lead, nah.

Happy to report our testers did some serious shredding - focussing on the inlay material with bends / hammer ons etc... No problems!

Cheers,

G

hey y'all,i was one of those testers,i was the lucky one who got the paula shell :D lol. stuck it at the twelfth fret on my bass(the flyin v),between the two inlay dots,u really cant tell thats its an overlay until some bugger goes up to it and goes''cooooool'' and starts pickin at it,it has not come off yet,i polish my fretboard every2 weeks,and it has never came off,or chipped or anything,it is a great alternative,pluss garry(gsrguitars) supply the shell,with trapiziod templates,and i think a craft knife,they give u detailed instructions,and theres enough to do 3,24 fret guitars :D cheap as chips, but you dont need to just do trapiziods,if u have the skill,or the £1000+ machine's u can cut out any design B) bargian

Edited by whitey