Pups And String/bridge Problem

Ok...i want to change the pups on my Epi 7 string to something more Rock and Roll...i was thinking about going SD? Any suggestions?

The next problem is the D string on my V keeps breaking all the time. Even if i play it lightly? It always breaks down at the bridge end. Its a standard TOM and it goes through the body. Any ideas on why this might be happening?

Thanks!

PS. I couldn't decide where this should go so i put in it here, please move it if its in the wrong place!

You got a sharp edge somewhere down at the bridge. Remember, it doesn't have to be much to break a D string. The SD/JB for 7-string is cool but for the bridge I prefer a SD rail. Hot or cool as you like .

From what I've heard about the Jazz, it doesn't handle distortion too well. You might wanna try a JB/'59 Combo, instead of '59/Jazz. You could also do a '59/'59 combo.

About the D string, did you sand down the saddle, along with the spot where the string enters the body?

As a test, put a piece of matchbook cover cardboard under the next D string you put on to cushion the bridge saddle contact. Your breakover angle may be too severe for that string and you will have to do a small amount of radiusing.

Do you know exactly where it's breaking? Maybe it's breaking before it gets to the saddle --since it's a string through, does it touch metal at any point before that?

If so, you can house the string at the point in some tubing (like an empty wire tube), that's what I've done to all the strings on my strat.

I also replace my saddles with Graph Tech's string savers as a rule (I break a lot of strings, especially that D string -- must be what gets the brunt of my ferocious attack...)