Sperzels

ok so i wasen't exactly clear, was I? :D

The edit is to switch a tuner side, wich is real easy. This is done with the screw in the key

the problem i'm having is the thumbwheel thingie unscrewing out completely, wich i believe i have read about, so i think i'm not alone having that...

BTW, my tuners are locking trim lok. (4x2 :D )

Edited by Pr3Va1L

ok so i wasen't exactly clear, was I? tongue.gif

The edit is to switch a tuner side, wich is real easy. This is done with the screw in the key

the problem i'm having is the thumbwheel thingie unscrewing out completely, wich i believe i have read about, so i think i'm not alone having that...

BTW, my tuners are locking trim lok. (4x2 lol.gif )

No worries, sometimes my mind just doesn't read things right :D

So switching them to a reversed wasn't bad? Maybe you could do a tutorial for this because a lot of people would like to do this to their guitars. I would like to for my next one. Which two sizes did you reverse? Staggered set right?

About the thumbwheel, I don't think any of mine do this but I am very gentle with my tuners, so maybe they do but I just haven't pushed it that far. I hate braking things so I am always overly cautious with everything I own. I can see it happening though, could you put a spot of superglue on the thread with a toothpick, so it would catch just before it would come off? Good Luck! Jason

Do you think one low and one med reversed would be more even, or do you think it depends on the position of your tuners? Do you have a pic of your headstock, I would love to see how it looks. I think it's awsome that you were able to do this, and I really would like to see a small tutorial on this. I do understand how to do it through your posts, but pics and desciptions make a big difference for me. Also did you build this neck, or is it store bought? I was wondering what headstock angle you used and why you picked it? Jason

Any symetrical tuner that can be swapped from post high to post low will give you two problems. In Hipshot's case (and many others, I'm sure) when you switch from high-left (standard) to high-right, the screw and washers that do the adjusting have to be removed and reinstalled. Two problems are the screw should have some retaining compound like Loktite put on the threads as you put it together the way you want it and the thimble/post to bushing friction should be checked to make sure you haven't just made a one-way crunchy, ie: a machine that goes CW better than CCW with tension on it. I really want to get called out on the floor on my next comment. I believe the tune-up to pitch vs. tune down-to pitch has more to do with the strings and the nut than anything else. Or if you have a trem. Shields up, Mr. Spock!! Incoming!! IMHO (Sulu is off today. The fourth and all)

I believe the tune-up to pitch vs. tune down-to pitch has more to do with the strings and the nut than anything else. Or if you have a trem. Shields up, Mr. Spock!! Incoming!! IMHO (Sulu is off today. The fourth and all)

I do have a trem, but I have blocked it off and it is a snug fit. Could you explain why you think the nut and/or string are the issue? I am in the dark as to why these would cause the problem, I know how they work, but I don't have all the technical knowledge of how they work with each other, I should but I just never put any time into this area. Thanks for your help! Jason

- When strings are brand new (ie. unstretched, though I rigorously stretch mine so that they're fine within 15 min) or when they get older, they don't like to stay in tune.

- The nut might be 'binding' the strings in place. Overnight, they might be 'popping' into another position and binding again, which will leave them out of tune.

Greg