Neck Pocket

I bought a routing template from stew-mac (I'm financing their tool development program :D ) and it seems a bit large. The neck is a 24-fret neck based on my RG550. I used calipers to verify that the width at the 24th fret is the same. When I place the neck over the routing template, there are about 1/16" gaps on either side B) . It seems a bit too much even for allowing lacquer. What do you think?

I'm considering just making my own plywood template to match what I have. How much room should I leave for finishing? If you guys have any suggestions I'd be very happy to listen to what you have to say.

Thanks,

Dave

The templates are about 1/16" oversize to allow you to use a guide collar on the base of your router. That's how the templates work. I believe the templates are 1/4" thick, that is the depth of most guide collars that mount in your route. The guide collars inside diameter is just slightly larger than the cutter diameter, so the template is oversized the wall thickness of the collar. This means you can still set your cutter depth to the correct depth, and when you route with the collar running alongside your template, your cut line is the actual size, not the template size.

Otherwise, you would need to run the cutter right up against the template and you'd kill your template.

Thank you very much for that information!

I thought the template was made for a pattern cutting bit (some call them flush-trim bits but the bearing is closest to the router). If they were made for a collar like you described, then things are making sense now. It's quite a relief to know that I'm not doing something insane.

Is my assumption that the Ibanez (older style RG) necks use a similar pocket as the Fender strat's correct? I think the template was based on the strat pocket.

Thanks for the great info.

Dave

do those collars fit any hand help type routers? non came with my router! :D but they look at bit easier to use then template bits with bearings on them which i am currently using. But then would't i have to re do all the templates i've accumulated? and if so how?

well personally i prefer the ball bearing type of bit but it depends on the situation some templates i have i use the template guide. but ya gotta make sure you mark your templates really well!!! or else you might forget come the next time you use that template.]

as for redoing all your templates, i wouldnt. it would be to hard to resize them acurately. depending on the brand of your router you can buy the template guides at depot or lowes.

you can also buy a new base plate that will except the guides check out this site(i think this is it) www.woodworkerswarehouse.com they sell all types of routers and accesories.