Prs 513

daveq

I was looking around on the web for some reviews on the PRS 513 recently. I don't plan on selling the house to buy one but I was interested in finding out how the all rosewood construction sounds/plays.

I ran across a review at hamonycentral that I thought was interesting - here's a quote:

Overall, the finish is excellent. The 10 top has a slight chevron flame pattern to it that's really nice to look at, and the mahagony grain on the back is just stunning - the orange finish on mahogony is one of the best looking color combinations I've seen. The brazilian rosewood neck and fingerboard are highly figured, and the fretwork is flawless. The neck carve and neck joint are new designs for them, and the whole thing seems put together very nicely. The nut is another new design for them, and works well - the trem stays in tune nicely and notes sustain really well. The newly designed bird inlays were flawlessly installed, too.

Did he really get a figured rosewood neck and fretboard or does this person just have a warped view of what "figured" wood really is? If he got a figured rosewood neck and fretboard, I would love to see it.

To sum up what I have read, nobody seems too blown away by the sound of the 513 (at least from what I have read). Maybe it's the pickups/electronics or maybe it's the rosewood - I don't know.

Has anyone here played one?

from what I have heard, it sounds good, but not as good as some other high end prs guitars. I have also heard that it is pretty versatile, but I would suggest getting a standard 22 or 24, they are about the same price as the 513.

It might be easier to just go through Warmoth where you can get an Indian rosewood body and neck for 785 american. Yeah it's not Brazilian, but still, if you're gunning for the rosewood, it might be the second best thing, or the best thing if you do not like brazilian rosewood.

Body

http://www.warmoth.com/showcase/sc_guitar_...=0&filters=true

Neck

http://www.warmoth.com/showcase/sc_guitar_...=0&filters=true