Wood Dyes And Oil Finishes

I don't ever recall seeing a dyed guitar with an oil finish. Is this a bad idea? I have a flamed maple top that I will be using for my next guitar, but I don't have the equipment to do a laquer or nitro finish. I was wanting to dye it (i.e. dye, sand back, etc). If I do that, could I use a finish like Formy's Tung oil or Minwax Wipe-on Poly(even though its not really an oil finish)?

From what I understand, with "aniline dyes" (no promises on anything else) like transfast, transtint, etc., you should be fine with ANY finish as they are actual dyes that soak into the wood and all the solvent evaporates leaving just the color in the wood itself. If you get a pigment-based stain (as opposed to a dye), you're getting little bitty particles of color in a binder that's usually lacquer or varnish based that don't soak into the wood, they just sit in crevices in the wood in a very thin coat of varnish or lacquer - and those are NOT necessarily compatible with other finish types.

Edited by jnewman

I used Tru-Oil to finish my first guitar. Unfortunately, I wasn't too impressed with it. Of course, I didn't follow the directions to the T, and now I'm wishing I had used the method of prepping the wood by using wet-dry sandpaper and Tru-Oil to sand and then fill the grain in the wood. My biggest gripe was that it took so long to cure. It does add a bit of amber to it though, which I liked. This discussion is pretty much moot now anyway seeing as how I have yet again changed my mind about my next project. :D

Check out Ken Bebensee. He does a lot of stained oil finishes and they look great in my opinion.

This one is great. And check out this awesome blue-green bass.

Exactly!! I've had my eye on that site for quite awhile. I love the color on that Joelaine bass! I also like his tailpieces, like on this one.

http://www.kbguitars.com/gallery/view.php?gid=5

:D

this neck I stained black and tung oiled it. It lightened the color to a purplish-dark grey color, not the dark black (almost ebony looking) like it was before the oil, but I wanted the feel of bare wood, and didn't want to leave it bare since it is rather thin.

It works, the only problem is that it will lighten the color of the stain, and since you have to rubb the oil in to saturate the wood, there is no way around it.