I Think This Will Be Difficult But...

Upon talking to Lovekraft... ive decided i *might* give building something a go...

Now ive always been intrested in an EQ Stomp Box but have never got around to buying one...

Now i know that most stomp boxes are quite hard to build and an EQ is probably well out of my range but its worth considering...

If i was given a diagram.. told what was on there.. and where to order parts... i would be fairly confident that i could do it... so the questions are

1) How easy will it be to build a 5 Band EQ

2) How expensive will the project be

3) Am i going to have to have an IQ of 5000 to complete the project

Thanks in advance for your help

~~ Slain Angel ~~

-- P.S.. I beleive this is the first time ive started a topic here :D --

You can try this one at GeoFex. In fact, read the whole article - you may decide you don't necessarily want a graphic EQ.

For more "guitar-oriented" EQs, check Runoff Groove's Mr. EQ and Tonemender.

Ive had a look at the "Mr. EQ" and it seems like a realistic project...

Now looking at THIS picture, im pretty confused... can someone try and explain parts of it... also can someone please tell me what parts im going to need and where from (UK based)

Thanks very much

~~ Slain Angel ~~

Download the PDF layout file - it has a parts list. You can probably get most everything you need from Maplins - can't be more specific (since I've never bought parts from Maplins), but I'm sure some of the UK guys can fill you in on other parts sources in Britain. Make sure you use at least 1/4 watt resistors and 15 volt caps.

you can get all of that from the maplin website as far as i know, but theres one thing that will throw you off when ordering capacitors, and here is what you need to bear in mind:

A capacitor's capacitance (something like electrical storage but alittle different) is measured in Farads or F for short. You can derive smaller units from that, and derived units use prefixes:

milli (mF) 1mF = 0.001F

micro (uF) 1uF = 0.001mF

nano (nF) 1nF = 0.001uF

pico (pF) 1pF = 0.001nF

stolen directly from aron nelsons wonderful forum :D

you can get all of that from the maplin website as far as i know, but theres one thing that will throw you off when ordering capacitors, and here is what you need to bear in mind:

A capacitor's capacitance (something like electrical storage but alittle different) is measured in Farads or F for short. You can derive smaller units from that, and derived units use prefixes:

milli (mF) 1mF = 0.001F

micro (uF) 1uF = 0.001mF

nano (nF) 1nF = 0.001uF

pico (pF) 1pF = 0.001nF

stolen directly from aron nelsons wonderful forum :D

I remember that part from the electronics course ive just completed... probs one of the only courses i payed real attention in.. that and music :D

Cheers weezerboy

~~ Slain Angel ~~

I've never built any electronic gear but I will take a stab at this. Each column is a list of the parts required for this project. It looks like there are 16 caps, 20 resistors, 1 semiconductor and 3 switches. Each part is labled with a component typed (c = capacitor, r = resistor etc.), and a number that should correlate with the schematic. If you find C1 on the schematic, that should be the location of a 15n capacitor.

I would say you need to go through the list and count up how many of each component you need ie. 2 15n caps and 4 47n caps etc.