Matt Black

i ASSUME WHEN YOU SAY MATTE BLACK YOU MEAN FLAT BLACK. DAMN, I hate caps lock!! I think the flat black is a good look. You can't wax, top-coat or rub-out flat or ultra-flat black. All you can do is use a really durable paint and clean it. The best ultra-flat I have used is rattle-can Krylon.

i ASSUME WHEN YOU SAY MATTE BLACK YOU MEAN FLAT BLACK. DAMN, I hate caps lock!! I think the flat black is a good look. You can't wax, top-coat or rub-out flat or ultra-flat black. All you can do is use a really durable paint and clean it. The best ultra-flat I have used is rattle-can Krylon.

im not sure im meen so thet the black isnt shiny like n a gothic type guitar

this coulor

http://www.liquid-fire.co.uk/musegear/musegear/blackbody.jpg

i want a matt black finish yeh

so iv sprayed it matt black now it the a natte clear coat or do i just leave it as it is

What kind of spray paint did you use?

im goin to spray it matte black so what should i use

See if you can find some automotive spray paint in flat black. I would imagine it would be tough enough to not need a clear coat.

The reason the different lacquers have different sheens is an additive called flattener.

This is the clear goop that's on the bottom of a gallon can. When it dries it looks just like chalk. If you scoop out aliitle on a stick and let it dry you'll see.

You can get flat lacquer, clear or colored, or you can buy flattener and add it yourself to any gloss lacquer and produce it yourself.

Additionally or alternatively, couldn't you still use a clearcoat with a matte or satin finish? So the paint would be normal flat black paint, which is still semi-shiny by itself, and then cover it with a satin clearcoat to take away any remaining 'shininess'?

I'm not a finishing expert-- heck, I'm not even a finishing beginner.... but this would be my first instinct. Abrasing the clearcoat with steel wool (sounds like a lot of work, mind you) could also help produce that satin/matte look.

Greg

The two Krylon rattle-cans that will take a beating and stay flat/matte are:

P/N S03725 Semi-flat

P/N S03727 MaxFlat

Both are very durable and black.

Greg, the chopped liver post wasn't aimed at you. I have been getting ignored a lot lately and am getting kind of a complex about it. Bout time to shut up for a while before I develope a real problem. :D

:D

That's an option. I think what you'll discover is that people have given you several options, and it's up to you to pick one.

Now, as a TOTAL-KNOW-NOTHING about finishing, but still being a man of some reason and common sense, I would be more tempted to go with the satin-finished clearcoat for the layer of protection it offers. No matter what paint you pick, it won't be as durable as a proper clearcoat.

Greg