Overhang Vs. No Overhang

I'm interested in replacing the neck of my tele clone with a Fender neck (tele probably, but maybe a strat...hmmm). Some of the necks I see have a fretboard overhang, some don't. Seems like the MIM (and MIJ) necks don't, but the MIA's do.

I've been to Warmoth's site...they don't explain this one. (also searched this site)

Am I correct in thinking that the overhand just adds an extra fret --so as long as the heel of the neck fits the existing pocket, it's okay?

Looks like that overhang will bump right up against the pickup though --are these in a different position on overhang guitars?

In my experience, Fender necks with the overhang just add one extra fret. There's plenty of room for it, so don't worry about bumping the pickup. There could be exceptions, but I've never seen one.

What I would watch out for is a pickguard that's thicker than the clearance between the body and the overhang. Trust me. That'll make your hair fall out.

In my experience, Fender necks with the overhang just add one extra fret. There's plenty of room for it, so don't worry about bumping the pickup. There could be exceptions, but I've never seen one.

What I would watch out for is a pickguard that's thicker than the clearance between the body and the overhang. Trust me. That'll make your hair fall out.

My hair's already gone, no problem there. Just shaved my head yesterday :D

But I could always shave the pickguard underneath, if it's a problem, right?

Next issue...I've got to make sure a replacement neck will fit...

idch: I've seen many, and have made many necks with the extra fret overhang. It's just a way you can add the extra 22nd fret to a guitar that was routed for a 21 fret neck. If it was made correctly then you shouldn't have to do anything to the pickguard or pickup. The overhang will clear the pickguard easily, and won't touch the pickup either.

idch: I've seen many, and have made many necks with the extra fret overhang.  It's just a way you can add the extra 22nd fret to a guitar that was routed for a 21 fret neck.  If it was made correctly then you shouldn't have to do anything to the pickguard or pickup.  The overhang will clear the pickguard easily, and won't touch the pickup either.

You're right, of course. I only mentioned the thicker pickguard because it happened to me once. Once. :D

You'll find the Warmoth customer services to be more than unhelpful! I tried asking about thier 24 fret neck extension, whether or not it was merely an extension to the fretboard or the whole neck (I hear fretboard extensions are rubbish compared to whole neck extensions)... They replied in quite a rude manner and were completely useless in answering my question, so I didn't bother with them.

Overhang vs. No Overhang? When I first read the title, I thought we were talking about beer bellies... :D

I put a strat replacement neck on a tele body and it works fine. It has a fingerboard overhang and the pickguard slides right under it. No problems.

Overhang vs. No Overhang?  When I first read the title, I thought we were talking about beer bellies... :D

I put a strat replacement neck on a tele body and it works fine.  It has a fingerboard overhang and the pickguard slides right under it.  No problems.

Balding, beer bellies....yeah, that about sums up the lot of us!

Anyway, thanks for the info all...I'm going for a tele neck though, I prefer the headstock shape.

So the original neck had no fretboard overhang at all? If it was 22 frets with an overhang you might be able to, but without an overhang I think you are right that it wouldn't be long enough. There might be some way but I don't know of one. Good luck with your guitar! Jason

But I'm looking at Fender's site --they're all on the same scale (25.5", 648mm)...so that 'should' mean that I can use either neck, right?

The difference would be in the width of the frets --the 21 fret necks have slightly wider frets...

I would assume so, but I can't be sure. It's kinda funny when I started playing guitars, I always thought that jumbo frets meant larger spacing between frets, I was totally clueless! Good luck with your neck, I think someone here know about this, I think there was another post about it. I forget who started it, but they answered your question, I don't remember what the answer was or the topic title to find out, but I will search for it for a little and see if I can find it for you. But I'm sure someone can answer your question easier than me! Later! Jason

So the original neck had no fretboard overhang at all? 

But I'm looking at Fender's site --they're all on the same scale (25.5", 648mm)...so that 'should' mean that I can use either neck, right?

Not necessarily.

The scale length is from the nut to the bridge.

If the neck is 21 frets, with no overhang (assuming that the neck ends at fret 21) it will be 17.919" from the nut to the end of the neck, and 7.581" from there to the bridge (which will also be the measurement from the end of the neck pocket to the bridge).

If the neck is 22 frets with overhang, it will probably be the same, with the extra fret overhanging the end of the pocket.

However if the neck is 22 frets without overhang, it will be 18.344" from nut to end of the neck. If you put it in the same body as the other necks, your intonation will be out, as the actual neck is longer that the others.

IOW, if the neck has the same scale as the previous neck (ie distance between each fret on one is the same as on the other), and the distance from the nut to the end of the neck is the same, then you can interchange them. If not, then not.

Cheers,

Brian.

IOW, if the neck has the same scale as the previous neck (ie distance between each fret on one is the same as on the other), and the distance from the nut to the end of the neck is the same, then you can interchange them.  If not, then not.

So at that point, it's a question of where the neck pocket is in relation to the bridge?

Man, this is getting confusing.

Suppose I went for a 21 fret neck to replace my 22 fret --even though both are for the same scale length (that's the part that still confuses me) -- then in the worst case, I'd have to move the bridge FORWARD or bring the neck pocket back...?????