How Fast Is Ur Internet Connection?

Gemleggat

How fast is your internet Connection? Is the old *56k* warning still valid?  

65 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

Guest gsr-guitars

On 1MB here.

Interesting thread... I notice 10% of people are still on dial-up. Like Wes said earlier - there are still places not covered via broadband at all.

Note on voting - looking in the task manager does not indicate your speed. That indicates the speed your hardware could achieve, but does not reflect the speed your ISP is giving you.

Check you ISP documentation or run the online test AlGee pointed out if you don't know what you've got.

Also interesting to note the screen resolution discussion. You'd be suprised, you really would... I've had to help people over the phone work through some parts of our site and it often turns out they're in 640x480 and can't "see" what I'm telling them to look for.

I run in 1280x1024 here - but design our site to cater from 800x600 upwards. It's still a viable golden rule for web design. Even then, as noted, it does alienate some running even lower resolutions. But, in the end, you have to make the best compromise - the one that pleases most of the surfers most of the time. The trick is to pick a base resolution and make sure it scales up correctly thereafter.

Cheers,

Gary

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I was on a cable hookup for years until I desided that my use just didn't justify the expense. For that matter since I moved a couple of months ago I don't even have cable TV and haven't missed it. I'm sure I'll hook up the cable TV come winter.

Even with my 50k speed limit I really don't mind waiting for pix to load... within reason of course. A little compression is a good thing folks. :D