Single Pickup

is there any advantages, other than looks of course, to only putting in one pickup?

also, if i was to only put in one in the bridge, and only have a volume pot with no tone pot...what would be the pros/cons to this and/or what effects would it have?

thanks

There is no obvious advantages except if you were doing volume swells it would be easier with on knob if you get confused easily I have an american kramer baretta i think like 83' and it has one humbucker in the bridge and one volume knob for the music i play i dont really like it cause it is not very versitile but if you were playing strait rock or heavy metal it is good but when you turn off the distortion the clean sound tends to be to bright

So there really is no huge advantages but no major disadvanteges either (unless you like a versitile guitar) But it all comes down to personal preferance and musical direction

Didn't we just have this conversation just the other day? Sure we did...

I prefer the LOOK of single pickup design.

Have a look at the Hondo Longhorn (Danelectro Guitarlin copy)-- they put a single humbucker in at the bridge, but they also added a split switch and an active boost circuit.

You'd also have the option of replacing the tone pot with a Varitone type --BigD makes them (he's a PG member), or there's a guy on Ebay Germany (or maybe he's from the Netherlands) who makes a version of the Varitone with a Black Ice type distortion cap at one of the switch settings.

Or how about putting in a piezo type bridge system in addition to your humbucker pickup?

So there are options for getting a more versatile sound without losing the simplified look of a single pickup design.

For a while, when I first started dreaming of building guitars, I was thinking about putting in a system that would allow me to slide the pickup into different positions (I think Ibanez made a guitar like in the 70s?) --it wouldn't be too difficult for a mechanical genius to build something like that.

On the other hand, the whole point of a single pickup guitar is to produce a single sound, THE sound...IMO

to say there are no pros to a single pup guitar is false, i think.

what about a les paul junior compared to a special?

same body, but the neck pup cuts through the neck tenon on the special, and they sound different.

it wouldnt be so significant on a bolt on neck guitar.

the electronics could be tailored to the specific pup, instead of a compromise between multiple pups.

also, playing wise, it the single pup scenario forces you to be creative with what youve got.

i personally like the idea of a single pup guitar and will be building a mahogany bodied, set neck esquire, once i get tooled up and ready.

i personally like the idea of a single pup guitar and will be building a mahogany bodied, set neck esquire, once i get tooled up and ready.

Yeah, I like the esquire too --and the nice part is you can route it for a neck pickup anyway, in case you change your mind...all you'd need to do is cut a hole in the pickguard...

If I had to have the LOOK of a single pickup, I'd have two singlecoils together wired like the mid+neck of a Strat, but they'd be together, like a humbucker. That's my FAVORITE sound that I've heard out of my Strat, but I guess it depends on the amp and playing style and other things too.

Edited by Hunter