An Interesting Idea I Had

IWishICouldShred

A while back, I had an on-stage incident where I jumped off of something with my Explorer, and my strap snapped when I landed. What a pain!!! My straplocks worked fine, but the plastic adjustor on the strap gave out. Yeah, I know I'm going to get replies that say "don't jump, let the music do the talking". Stage presence is important too, and being able to swing my guitar/jump with it and not worry about it smashing on the floor is important.

I was thinking about how to prevent it from happening again with the new guitar I am working on now, an I came up with the idea of a strap made out of seatbelts. The seat belt lock mechanism is designed to stop a moving person from exiting a vehicle at 65+ mph, so it should probably hold up. I hope :D

Anyway, I'm wondering if this sort of thing exists, and if not, how do people think it'd work? The basic idea would include one of those belts that they make out of seatbelts, and then corresponding male and female seat belt ends mounted to the guitar with heavy screws. It would clasp on and could be removed, and would probably look sweet too!

Anyway if this is in the wrong forum, just tell me and I'll delete it. I don't post on this board very often and didn't know where it should go.

Single strap of leather...cut to fit.

YEP That's What I do, But Than I cover It with 1-1/2 inch Spikes :DB)

!!METAL MATT!! :D

Why not use the DiMarzio Cliplok. Here's one with metal buckles.

I've used those for a long time and they've been great. The nylon is pretty much that of a seat belt. The strap and clips would likely hold me hanging from them. However the little screws commonly used for strap buttons won't take much stress before being yanked out of the guitar. Re-enforcing those screws can be very important.

Otherwise, when you jump, hold the body would ya? :D

:D

Why not use the DiMarzio Cliplok. Here's one with metal buckles.

I've used those for a long time and they've been great. The nylon is pretty much that of a seat belt. The strap and clips would likely hold me hanging from them. However the little screws commonly used for strap buttons won't take much stress before being yanked out of the guitar. Re-enforcing those screws can be very important.

Otherwise, when you jump, hold the body would ya? :D

B)

I had to hit a note when i hit the ground... I sorta jumped off of a bass cab which wasnt too bright... :D

Anyway, it isn't the material of the strap that i'm worried about, its the seatbelt mechanism itself. Thanks for the input though, everyone!

I always had the problem of the strap buttons pulling out when I used to gig with my Les Paul...not that I'm really physical with it...just the sheer weight of the thing.... :D

Someone made a kind of stretchy strap as I recall, that took a bit of the shock out of such stage antics so that instead of pulling the buttons out or breaking...it had a bit of give...I thought that was a neat idea...you could probably rig up something like that with some shock cord rigged up discretely on the back of a strap...if you're DIY inclined... B)

Otherwise...I always admired EVH's more practical aproach of giant coach bolt rings instead of trap buttons screwed well into the guitar and dog clips to hold the strap on...he seems to mod all his guitar's like this, even the fancier ones he plays now...I just don't have the balls to drill a 1/4" coach bolt into my guitar (then again, I don't get them for free).... :D

pete