Sneek Peek - My First Project

Here's a few pics of what I've been working on for a while. Just an idea of what it will look like when it is done. What do you think? Rob.

1.overhead_1.jpg

more here:

rocketrob's guitar project 2

rocketrob's guitar project 3

rocketrob's guitar project 4

I hope these links work. never posted pics here before.

edit: just looked at the pic. bad quality; don't know why.

Edited by ROCKETROB

Cool...I don't usually like a strat-mod on a tele, but this one works really well because of a) the excellent pickguard and :D the great color choice.

Lil' bit of weirdness around the jack area --how come you didn't go with the curved tele-style jack?

Anyway, looks like it's going to be a blast to play.

Nice!

My tastes run towards odd vintage guitars that were never made. Not, odd, but, I like yours.

The Tele neck makes it look too much like it's a modded Tele, though. I think it'd look better with a more anonymous neck... or maybe a Danelectro neck- then you'd have some strange rare undiscovered Dano.

tirapop; When I started this project I was going to make a standard tele, so I bought the neck. The more I played around with the drawing...well you can see. I have two more guitars planned using this shape, and one of them has a neck with 3 tuners on a side and a headstock of my own design. the other will be a real tele clone type with swamp ash body, tele bridge and tele style neck pickup...with double cutaways of course.

american; maybe I should take your advise. I messed up the last pass I made today. :D I can't beleive how many times I've sanded this thing. Rob.

Fender made a double cut tele once(or maybe they still do). If only I could remember the name of that thing. Looked good too. I like the yellow on this guitar, it's got a nice blusey/vintage vibe to it. I think for your next project you should consider making that neck/body joint a little more streamlined. Maybe consider a bolt on set up the way a Les Paul DC's set neck is(continues under the PUP's). I think it might look cool with a jaguar bridge too. It's your guitar though, so you call the shots as you see fit.

thegarehanman: This is my first build so I'm using construction techniques that are well proven and documented. Some where down the road I would like to make a set neck type and a semi hollow one too. I am a little concerned about the neck pocket and overall stability of the neck on this guitar with the double cuts. I'm curious about the sound/vibration transfer between the neck and body with so much wood removed from the side of the neck. I'll post results after it's strung up and played a bit. Rob

Not sure what you mean about the jack area. Most teles have a squared off section around the jack. I will be using an electrosocket type jack. Rob.

Huh, I never noticed that before...and I've been working on a tele mod for the past couple of weeks to boot...

maybe it's just the color/angle/binding that brings it out more in the photo.

I think they call you mellow yellow

Quite Rightly B)

Oh god I dont Beleave I did that :D

Any way man I love That Pickguard It really Work Well with the design :D

!!METAL MATT!! :D

Thanks...I think :D

I was trying to capture some of those automobile curves of the 50's & 60's with that pickguard. I really like the vintage type stuff. What can I say; I'm a little vintage myself.

I have a nice piece of swamp ash waitng and that one will have a black pickguard and see through finish for sure. Rob.

Jim, I've had a few 335s over the years and one favorite es345 that I've had for almost 35 yrs. (yea , I'm that old) and a strat too so, maybe those shapes have just jelled in my brain for too long.

The best part of this forum is, for sure, the exchange of ideas and information. I'm constantly being pushed along by the great vision and skills of the people here. It's a real treasure. Rob.