My First Neck

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The problem is that I cannot find a big tub too!!!

Just try to be bit more creative. Try locating big trash basket, storage container, etc....Or try to pick up an old bath tub.

Borax is just used to break up the water tension. Works like laundry detergent or soap. So there are alternatives....

Swirling sounds easy and looks easy.......but DIY examples I have seen on the net are rather so-so.....or absolutely stunning.

The absolutely stunning ones are the result of many hours of practise and trial & error. Like most things in life....there is technique to it. So get yourself some scrap wood.....and start testing.

Test Borax water combinations. Different colors, different type paints, different techniques of getting body out of bucket etc.....

If I were to do it....I would take old oil drum, and have tap installed at bottom.

Raise the drum.....put water in it (with Borax or whatever). I would suspend body under water.......have it hanging from top. Put paint on the water surface........create pattern and then let water with tap slowly drown from drum.

This way I don't have to clear area with news paper (or so) when taking body out of water when doing regular method of dipping and raising. I also don't have to touch the body. I can just leave it hanging till it dries.

:D

Yes, there's no problem with swirling. I did practice and I liked what I ended up with. I know the process so it's ok. For borax i know alternatives but I don't trust soap in my paint, btw there are other shops not too far from my home selling borax.

For the tub, I'm still searching what you did suggest me without results! And I should leave it outside with this cold.... I don't know, I'm still thinking if swirl the body or try it in the spring on another guitar and airbrush this one.

Gian

well if u wanted this guitar swirled i wouldnt settle for another paint job. For the rest of your life u will hate that u setteled for something u didnt want. I did this with my first guitar. I wanted a blue and yellow zakk wylde bullseye job, but ended up settling for just blue. I love the guitar but still look at it as what it should have been. Like RGGR said just be creative. Do u have a credit card? If so you could order the stuff online some where, shipping might be a little much, but in the end u would get what u wanted, and in my eyes that would be worth the extra cost.

Mattia believe me, here in Naples I wasn't able to find a big tub. I will look for something large can contain water. I like airbrushing but.... yes I began with the swirl idea in mind and it's better if I continue with it.

Gian

Mattia believe me, here in Naples I wasn't able to find a big tub. I will look for something large can contain water. I like airbrushing but.... yes I began with the swirl idea in mind and it's better if I continue with it.

Gian

Odd...my parents live up near Lucca, and our local Ferramenta and the Agraria next door definitely have large tubs. Plastic garbage cans will do the trick as well. Heck, I bet that in a pinch, you could make do with an inflatable kid's pool (although it's not really the season to be buying them), which should be plenty cheap, and plenty large.

You're right about what you say, in fact now it's not the season for that stuff. Usually big tubs are available in the summer. Now it seems hardware stores have not them but only medium and small tubs.

A friend of mine talked me about a place I can look for. I will let you know.

Gian

Yeah it is a good quality perloid inlay. You can buy it from Al Intenso on eBay. If I'm not wrong the shop's name is "aiguitars".

The design seems to be the one from Alex Van Der Linde, I did read a post where he said it.

Gian

• 2 weeks later...

What's happening now it's something really strange and frustrating!!!

I'm getting only trouble with the paint and my spraygun. I sanded down the body cuz after all the job (I painted it in february!!) it was scratched and dirty!!!

Now I cannot have my paint flowing nice and I get a lot of orange peel (not the ordinary one you get with spray applications but bigger!!!), dust in the paint, spits.

It doesn't matter what I do, (tried to set the gun in any possible way, any air pressure beetween 30 and 50 PSI, any dilution, any distance from gun to body).

The spray gun I have it's used in automotive shop, tip is 1,4 mm. It works cuz I did bring it to a shop to try it. Temperature is about 15 centigrade.

I mix my paint in a glass can and I clean it every time. I'm using a lot of thinner to clean everything and I disassemble my gun every time for cleaning.

It doesn't matter how much time I wait after mixing (10 or 30 mins like Jeremy says). I'm getting crazy cuz I actually dunno where I'm wrong. This never happened before with my spray gun or rattle cans!!!

:D

Gian