Try To Buy It Or No?

marksound

We're putting up another auction at work next week and I've got my eye on this old bandsaw. No idea what it's worth, but it works. Any thoughts?

14 Inch Wood Cutting Band Saw 

14 inch wood cutting bandsaw. Manufatured in China for Homer Distributing Company. Data plate says 140mm maximum cutting thickness and 325mm maximum cutting width. 3/4 h.p. motor, single phase, 110 volt. In working order, but please remember "as is, where is." No guarantees.

Click for pic

Looks about the same as the $225. model you would get at Harbor Freight. HF model has a 1 HP motor, and of course would be new. Hope that helps.

Peace, Rich

Took a second look at the pic. It doesn't look like that one would accept a riser block kit. HF model will. Don't know if that is a factor.

I think fryovanni is right. Maybe adjustable riser is important to you, maybe it's not.

If you do decide to buy it, I would open that cabinet to see if the tires are worn where the blade is riding. If not, someone may have just thrown an old blade on there just for sale. That is obviously not the end all of the discussion, but I would also think that a close inspection of the blocks and bearing would give you an idea of how it has been treated. Hope this helps, and good luck!

Nate Robinson

It's probably exactly what it appears to be: A cheap chinese bandsaw.

If you are good at tinkering with machines, you should be able to keep it cutting decently, as long as you don't expect too much of it.

As far as it's value, I would definitely try not to pay over $100 for it. $50 would be a pretty good deal.

while you've got the cabinety open spin the wheels by hand..listen for bearing noise. try to tilt the wheels with your hands and see if they wobble. check the bearings that support the back of the blade and see if they move freely. check and see if the blade tensioner works freely as well as the knob that changes the angle of the upper wheel.

if those things seem ok and you can get it cheap go for it. with a 3/4 horse motor you won't be able to horse the wood through it but it should do fine.

while you've got the cabinety open spin the wheels by hand..listen for bearing noise.  try to tilt the wheels with your hands and see if they wobble.  check the bearings that support the back of the blade and see if they move freely.  check and see if the blade tensioner works freely as well as the knob that changes the angle of the upper wheel.

if those things seem ok and you can get it cheap go for it.  with a 3/4 horse motor you won't be able to horse the wood through it but it should do fine.

It's in my warehouse right where I can get at it so I'll check it out. Thanks. :D

Fryovanni, Are those band saws worth the money? I am in need of one and I would like something that can handle most jobs, but also not break the bank. I currently have a buddy with one, but I want one of my own. The price sounds real good, but will that saw do most of the stuff needed for guitar building? Do you think it would bookmtach, a big enough piece for a body? Thanks for the help. Later. Jason

I've seen the HF bandsaw for $225. You will have to buy the riser block for it if you want to resaw and bookmatch. It also does not come with a fence for resawing. You would probably want to upgrade the blade guides to ball bearings also as the saw comes equiped with some sort of friction guide.

By the time you upgraded the Harbor Freight saw to do what you wanted to do you could have just bought a saw from grizzly or something.

i no longer recommend "cheaping out" on a bandsaw....

after my delta was stolen,i tried to replace it with a ryobi...that would not cut butter it was so weak...and if it DID cut butter,it would not cut it straight...

it showed me that there is at least SOMETHING to buying a good name brand like delta...now my new delta is being shipped to me...

by the way..the delta i had and reordered is a 9"...and it will cut through any wood you can fit under the guides...i regularly cut 3" thick maple with it...the ryobi kept getting hung up on a 2" piece of mahogany...and if you tensioned the blade enough to keep it from twisting in the cut,the weak ass motor would not turn it...i bet it would take over a minute to cut my own damn finger off!