Neck Joint? Bit Of Help!

Hi guys, great site, great info! really great to find such a good source of info for free (minus the ole donation :D ) Anyways, i'm starting my first project, got the plans, everything's ready, i'm just waiting on a few parts, but i've got a problem- i found some nice mahogany on ebay in pieces 550mmx45mmx95mm approx so i'm gonna glue them together and thickness them and all that for the body. thing is, the neck, 550mm long is about 50mm too short for it, and i was wondering if it would be possible to join some more to the end to make the headstock. possibly a mortice and tennon jobby, or an angled joint? I made a drawing but i can't post it (i'm new).

Anyways, thanks lads for any help you can give me.

Bouli

(by the way, more info for Irish builders needed!)

Sounds to me like the easiest way to remedy your situation is it use a scarf joint (do a forum search for scarf joints if you aren't sure what one is or how to do one) using another piece of wood. I would try to aquire another piece of mahogany for this. Warmoth does this with their angled bass necks, and a slight variation on it with their gecko bass necks (looks really cool).

Alternatively, if you haven't already bought the wood off ebay, you could look for some wood that is long enough. That would certainly be the easiest way of making sure the woods match.

Good luck, and be sure to keep us updated on the In Progress section!

I just got my calculater out. It is what Myrk said. 1 inch = 25.4 mm. That is a bit short for a neck, but with a scarf jointed headstock you would be fine. My neck I'm building is about 24-25 inches but I'm starting with about 27-28 just so I can have some areas for clamping and such. But I think you will be fine with your neck with the scarf joint. Good luck with it and let us know how it goes! Pics too. Jason