Cordless Drills

Southpa

Man, I got cordless drills coming out the yin yang these days. Its a real money maker for them when a battery craps out. I have a Craftsman 14.4 cordless that has worked well over the past 2 or so years and now one of the batteries reads "defective" in the charger. What really frosts my nutz is that a replacement battery costs $100! I bought the WHOLE SET (drill, maglight, dustbuster, 2 batteries, charger and canvas carry bag) for $99.99! Now here is the crowning turn in the water pipe, they are currently selling 14.4 drills with 1 battery for 50 bucks. I also have a 9.6 Makita, one of the batteries melted down a few years back, 80 bucks to replace that one.

Oh well, rant over. I guess I'll go buy the 50 dollar drill just to get the new battery. And from now on my neighbor can borrow my sh**ty Black & Decker 12 volt, just in case it was him who was responsible for my Craftsman battery in the first place. I hate loaning out tools.

Edited by Southpa

It's like ink and printers. It costs about 100 bucks for a new ink carteridge, when you can get a new printer for the exact same kind.

I am hearing mixed things about cordless drills. I hear that they just aren't worth the money when it comes to the battery, and with power and all. I don't know crap about tools so it's all hearsay. I can tell you that my Grandfathers black and decker drill still works, and he's had it since the late 50s-early 60s. lol

-Jamie

I went out and bought the Craftsman 15.6 V cordless, 275 in. lb. torque for $100. The old 14.4 only had 100 in. lb. and even some of the new 18V. are rated low torque, so this was a good buy. As far as asking whether or not its worth it, I'd definitely say YES. I've put an awful lot of hours into using my cordless drills on the job doing house reno's (paint scraping/stripping with wire wheels) , sheet roofing (as a screwgun) etc. etc. Don't have time to set up an extension cord and then look for power. I lot of the houses I work on (pre-1930's) don't even have outside power receptacles.

Edited by Southpa

dunno if you can get ryobi round your way, but their stuff is cheap and lasts up for HEAVY home use, and their batteries fit all ryobi cordless tools(and only cost about 26-27 USD). makitas a whole new ballgame, but unless its for constant everyday of the week use, buy cheap drills. you get the equivalent of a new battery and warranty each time it comes up for a battery replacement.

and sepultura999, I saw a comparison test recently, genuine epsom(i think it was them) ink, cost more per mL than some 1960's cognac

I have a couple drills myself, I have purchased replacment batteries on ebay. What I mostly do is buy the same basic type . The dewalt 14.4 and the black and decker 14.4 batteries will interchange with a little modification. I sure others shaped the same will work to. Of course Im still using the "box with a post" type battery not the slide in flat type. I Only buy my drills on clerance usually the display models dirt cheap, as long as I have a charger cause they dont come with them.

I have been using the same 14v DeWalt and 18vDeWalt drills since 1996. I have 2 batteries for each. The only time I had to buy another battery in all these years is when I was using the 18v while building a fence line and ran over the extra 18v battery with my back hoe.....that cost me $75!

I have a Ryobi 14.4v cordless drill. I love it. Only complaint is that the keyless chuck can be tough on the hands to get tight sometimes.

Keyless chucks are contraband in my house! Although I do need a new drill, and keyless chucks are the only ryobi at my local hardware store, so my rule is gonna fail I think

Geez Louise, all that fretting for nothing. The reason why my battery was reading "defective" (amber light) was because it was totally drained (cold). I decided to read the manual for a change ... :D and it said when they are in that condition you have to leave it in the charger for about 1/2 hr. before it will begin to charge. So amber light to red light (charging) to green (charged). And I went out and bought another drill, it was a good deal anyway. :D

Best cordless drill I've ever owned is the panasonic 15.6 vt one. I use it every day at my day job and after 4 yrs it and the batteries are still good (nickle metal hydride batteries used in thier drills are the best for multiple recharge.)

Also little known fact is that Matsushita (panasonic)makes the bateries for most of the other companies. The drill has a ratchet 1 hand chuck of metal and doesn't show any signs of wear yet and it's real easy to use, only negative is price ~ about 219.00 , but you get 2 batteries and a 15 min charger. Best drill around IMO.

I saw a comparison test recently, genuine epsom(i think it was them) ink, cost more per mL than some 1960's cognac

Unbelievable. Well, actually-- believable, but ludicrous! Lexmark are the most expensive printers I've personally come across, because you can't even BUY 3rd party ink for it, like you can with the Epson.

Cordless drills are handy as heck. Good snag on the new one, Southpa!

Greg

Fine Woodworking rated the panasonic top dog two years ago in their shop and tool review addition. I know a few guys who own them and they have nothing but good things to say. Myself, I run a trio of Bosch's. Two are 14.4 the other 18 - great cordless drills, my crew uses each close to two hours a day everyday. We have had two of the three for over two years. The batteries are still holding charge, and both 14.4's have been dropped from a height of 12' (DOHHHH!) At any rate I guess that it boils down to how much you use the tool versus how much you can afford to spend. One thing that does concern me though, is spending $250 on a cordless drill just to have the battery go bad from not being regularly(sp) cycled. Don't really know if this is a concern or not, but like I said I use mine daily so "battery memory" isn't really an issue. BTW a replacement battery for a 14.4 bosch "brute force" is around $80 at home depot. Any way that's what I know about that, hope is helps somebody one way or the other.

Nate Robinson

I've had a lot of cordless drills starting when the little suckers first came on the market.

Batteries have always cost more tahn you think that they should.

The current ones hold a lot more charge, charge faster and last longer by a long shot than the early ones did.

I still use a Milwaukee corded drill in the shop most of the time. I never have "damn why is it dying now!!!!" issues this way. I hardly ever take it out of the truck on a job site. The cordless ones just are a whole lot more convientent when outlets are an issue.

My opinion on what I've had the best luck with? Bosch. You can get a factory recon at your local real tool distributor, not the homeowner's warehouse, for about $99 for a 14 volt with two batteries.

If you want tot get the best and don't care about price, Festool demolishes anything on the market for duability and ergonomics. That said, I can't justify the expense since I've stopped doing cabinetmaking full time.

My old shop partner took the other road and bought the orange Chinese made disposables for $49 at the weekend tool sales that go from fairground to conference center these days. He used to but the things 4 and 5 at a time and just pitch them when they died.

I take the other tact and tend to but my tools as infrequently as possible. I but a lot of Bosch stuff.