Just How Concerned Should I Be? Please Help!

Hey everybody!

Been a while since i've been on this board, but i know that you all are definately the people to talk with about this...

Here's the deal: Earlier this year, i bought an Ibanez RG7620VK. I was never much of a fan of the VK (vampire kiss) finish, but i wasn't concered about that, as i planned on refinishing the instrument right after i got it. Well, the guitar arrived on my doorstep, and within a day or two, i did a quick setup on it... the guitar easily plays better than any other guitar i've ever touched in my life!!! The action is super low all across the board, the sustain is solid, it's just a dream to play. It's amazing! Several months have passed, and i've been getting really tired of the VK finish, and after seeing that 7621 in the custom gallery (the one with the blue quilt top), i'm positively itching to beautufy this thing. The only thing that is holding me back is the fear of losing the godlike setup that the guitar has. It really, seriously, plays that freaking well. I'd be ultra depressed if i lost the guitar's playability, even if it was amazing to look at.

I'm sure of all the people here, someone has dealt with this same issue. Just how concerned should i be about not being able to get my guitar set back up the way it is now? Are there any tips to insure that i will be able to get my setup back after refinishing it? Please help!!!!

Ben

It shouldn't be a big problem at all if you don't plan on leaving the neck off for too long a period. The issue you'll have is that if you take the neck off, the tension will be released from the neck, and when it gets time to put it back together, it will take a couple of days or more for the tension to pull the neck into the same state it was before. So here are some things you can do to make sure it goes back the same.

1. With the strings still on the guitar, take a long straightedge (18" or more) and check the amount of relief at the 7th fret, by sliding feeler guages under it to check clearance. Write that down. hint: It's probably somewhere between straight (.0" - .012"). Whatever it is you need to remember it.

2. Don't mess with the trussrod at this time!!!! Just unstring the guitar one string at a time.

3. Don't adjust anything! Bridge height, nut slot height, etc. etc. Leave things like they are if your happy with it.

4. Put the neck in a safe place and stored at room temperature.

5. When you place the neck back into the pocket after you're done with the body work, make sure the outside E strings have equal space from the edge of the fingerboard. If it's tilted one way or the other, then only tighten up the neck screws so far without tightening them all the way, and by holding the body with one hand you can push the neck in the direction it needs to go. Check and see if it's aligned while tightening the screws down.

6. Let the guitar settle for a week and try to play it. Check your relief at the 7th fret again, if it's the same, your in great shape. If it's not, then you can adjust your truss rod to match your measurements before.

Hope this makes sense.

Thanks for the reply!

Pretty much all of the tips you gave me make sense. The only thing is, the guitar has an Ibanez Lo Pro Edge 7 Floyd Rose-style tremelo. I'm concerned about getting the posts and all that jazz back down in the cavities exactly as they are now. I have the tremelo blocked, and plan on keeping it that way for a while (meaning... until i can get my hands on a Tremol-No!), so i'm not that worried about getting the claw screws perfect... with the posts, could i just make a little mark on the posts using something like acrylic craft paint to let me know how far down they're screwed in? What are some other tips you cool cats could share with me?

Thanks so much!!! You guys are the best.

Ben

Leave the posts in. Just mask 'em off.

Don't worry man.

Every guitar that I've stripped and refinished with laquer sounded better afterward. I've stripped off polyester, enamel, urethane... Just follow the advice regarding the neck. Do everything as fast as you can and withhold judgement several days after it' has been finished and restrung. You'll be happier with a guitar you like the looks of.

Good luck!

I've got the same issue with my strat...the previous owner had spray painted it (which is why I got is so cheap!), and I'd really like to fix the mess he made...but the thing is so solid and plays so well, I just leave it as is...

If I were to refinish it, I'd probably just build a new body for it. The neck's great, the body's...well, it's just a strat.