Making the guitars body...

Ok... I just got done with my first kit and I did a decent job.. but I'll likely refinish it later when I learn more and get better painting technique down. I guess I did a good enough job because I've got a Bass and another guitar kit to put together for two other people who wanted one after they looked at mine. I'm not gonna charge since I'm doing it for the practice, and believe you me, I need practice. lol.... Anyway, I got the book "Make Your Own Electric Guitar" and have already read to the First Guitar part, and I'm gonna attempt making that guitar. But I'm still in doubt about making the whole thing and was gonna just start by making a couple of guitars with building the body and buying the necks. Maybe after a couple like this, I can start making necks, which I really don't have enough tools yet to build anyway. So, since I'm concentrating on guitar bodies... I was reading about how you will take two pieces of wood and glue them together at the edges and clamp them down. But one thing is that he suggested using sash clamps to hold them together and also using G clamps or C clamps to make sure that the middle part is level.. my question is.. how in the world are you gonna clamp down the middle part with G or C clamps with small pieces of wood and not have it end up gluing to the guitar body block.. Also, If anyone has any other tips for making a guitar body block I'd love to hear them...

Matt

you can use wax paper to keep the wood block from sticking, OR if you have a Planer that's wide enough you can just use the clamps without the wood blocks, just start with slightly thicker blanks then finish planing them to thickness after the glue dries, also, you dont have to squeeze the hell out of the 2 halves to keep them lined up just enough to keep them from moving that way you wont dent the wood either

pfffffffffffffff wax paper ( :D hehe sorry couldn't resist ) http://members.accesswave.ca/~derekn/makin...a_guitar-01.jpg that's what i did. Wood glue generaly only sticks to wood, metals and plastics easily snap away from glue like in that picture i just used 2 handy clams to ensure the boards were fairly flush, so i wouldn't have to plane half the board down to get my level surface.

yuppers, i got them at walmart too, but only get the 2 inch ones, the 4 inch suck ass.. sash eh?umm.. ya, they're 2$ "wood" clamps..(ie: el grando cheapo) hence the bowing in the rods... i have no idea what they're called ( i can be really bad with names of tools sometimes) i just know how to use them from wood shop in jr high school... but i think i was supposed to put the middle one under the wood, not have all three on top..