Solid State Amps

GEdwardJones

Ok, here's the deal, every so often I get the urge to join a band/play out and I need a bigger amp to deal with drums in a practice situation.

I've got my eyes on a couple of 100 watt solid state amps (Marshall, Ibanez, Peavey and that Rogue thing from Musician's Friend). I want to know what people here think about these amps.

Again, that's *SOLID STATE* amps. I don't care about tube amps, don't suggest one. I will just make fun of you for it.

what are you playing?randall has some really nice,really cheap solid state amps.200 watts for under $400.lots of gain and a good clean tone.line 6 has ALOT of bang for the buck.just about any tone you want too.and not a single tube in it. :D

i don't reccomend marshall solid state.too harsh.but the avt hybrid series is cool.it only has one tube in the preamp and the power amp is solid state plus the avt 150 has an acoustic emulation channel which is kick ass.it costs about $600.four channels

what are you playing?randall has some really nice,really cheap solid state amps.200 watts for under $400.lots of gain and a good clean tone.line 6 has ALOT of bang for the buck.just about any tone you want too.and not a single tube in it. :D

Totally forgot about Randall. In my head Randall Solid State = Warhead = TOO DAMN EXSPENSIVE.

Mostly I'm looking for a big, dumb rock sound. Although I wouldn't mind getting something close to Tommy Victor's (Prong) sound. I know he used solid state Marshalls. Realistically what I'm most looking for is flexibility. I don't need a 100% over the top gain sound, but it'd be nice if I could get it. Line 6 is always tempting, but even their cheap stuff is a little pricey in comparison.

i gotta agree with wes, for solid state Randall is king. unless you want bells whistles and doodads, then get a line6. :D

.....But supposedly the MG series amps were made based on his input, and I don't use amps raw, either. :D

*shiver* DO NOT get an MG head..... i said this is another post like 2 days ago.... worst decision i ever made was buying that head...

go randall....

but i do like the peavy supreme head, (it's solid state) and it sounds awsome for shredding, but i haven't had the chance to let'r'rip so i'm not sure if it starts to crap out once u crank it..

*shiver* DO NOT get an MG head..... i said this is another post like 2 days ago.... worst decision i ever made was buying that head...

go randall....

but i do like the peavy supreme head, (it's solid state) and it sounds awsome for shredding, but i haven't had the chance to let'r'rip so i'm not sure if it starts to crap out once u crank it..

I'm anti-shred. Solo tone is very low on my list of requirements, but with my current setup I can pretty much get my solo tone from any amp with a decent clean channel.

I like Peavey gear, I'm interested in the XXL, but my local dealer went belly up on me.

BAH.

All I know about the MG is that several people with sounds I like use that amp.

peavey stuff does rock. xxl is top notch as far as quality. built in the usa, and has a great gain channel, really high output. i really liked the combo, but it is a little much for my liking. the clean channel is kind of blah too. it's good for rock, but don't try any country croonin'. :D

peavey stuff does rock. xxl is top notch as far as quality. built in the usa, and has a great gain channel, really high output. i really liked the combo, but it is a little much for my liking. the clean channel is kind of blah too. it's good for rock, but don't try any country croonin'. :D

funny you say that.when i was a young guy all peavey was considered good for was country and mixers.they were the most tone dead amps on the market(which alot of country artists around here like)i am still not a fan but they have changed.