Measurments For An Eight String

alright i measured a 6 string then a seven string and added the difference to the the 7 string. I came up with 2 1/8 at the nut and and 3 1/8 at the end of the neck. but here's what the guy from lgm said "Measure the distance between the strings on any guitar, take that number times 7 spaces, plus the width on each edge and there is your nut width, if I remember correctly the Leviiiathan's are about 2 3/4" or 2 7/8" wide at the nut, I can't remember for sure though. I just know at the 24th fret that the board is 3 1/8" wide." can anyone with a eight string or anyone that has built an eight string help me out with the dimmensions?

Do you have your bridge on hand? Because your bridge is going to be a determining factor in what your spacing is at the end of the fretboard. Two questions that will help people help you.

1.what is the string spacing on the 8 string bridge you're using?

2.how many frets are you going to want?

If you do not know the answer to these two questions, you are unlikely to pry an answer from anyone on the board.

Do you have your bridge on hand? Because your bridge is going to be a determining factor in what your spacing is at the end of the fretboard. Two questions that will help people help you.

1.what is the string spacing on the 8 string bridge you're using?

2.how many frets are you going to want?

If you do not know the answer to these two questions, you are unlikely to pry an answer from anyone on the board.

i have another question how do i figure string spacing?

Dear lord...

...you're going to need a bridge. Go online, find the bridge you want, in the description, it should say what the string spacing on that bridge is. If you already have the bridge, measure the distance from slot for the first string to the slot from the last. It should only be a few inches.

Here's an illustration:(note that in this picture, string spacing is referred to as "string spread." it's the same thing)

tune-o-matic_detail.gif

If you have any more questions, do a search...end of story.

Edited by thegarehanman

Yes, you definitely need to choose your bridge first. As I recall, Hipshot makes an 8-string bridge.

I typically leave 1/8" on either side of a 6-string fretboard, but you may want to leave slightly more on the bass side for an 8-string because the gauge of the string is so large...you don't want it slipping off the edge.

And be careful on measuring string spacings as the nut...some guitars have equal string spacing for all strings, some (like my Fenders) have the treble-side G-B-E strings slightly closer to each other than the rest of the strings. I've heard it said that the un-wound strings can look funny if you have equal spacing, but personally I really don't see any significant difference.

garehanman.your attitude is extremely unnacceptable.

this guy is NOT going to find a damn thing on 8 strings that he can use on this board without a little help...either help or stay the hell out of the topic.this guy is being extremely friendly and is asking intelligent questions.if you can't stand to help even this guy,as friendly as he is,then this site is not right for you.

malebolgia...jeremy(the guy at lgm that you mentioned) may be your best help on this,as he has made 8strings before...

me?if i were doing it,i would buy the hipshot bridge,make the nut with the spacing lgm gave me,and go from there...

edit on further thought garehanman...you have been warned before...now it is time for the next step.your two week suspension starts now.

garehanman.your attitude is extremely unnacceptable.

this guy is NOT going to find a damn thing on 8 strings that he can use on this board without a little help...either help or stay the hell out of the topic.this guy is being extremely friendly and is asking intelligent questions.if you can't stand to help even this guy,as friendly as he is,then this site is not right for you.

malebolgia...jeremy(the guy at lgm that you mentioned) may be your best help on this,as he has made 8strings before...

me?if i were doing it,i would buy the hipshot bridge,make the nut with the spacing lgm gave me,and go from there...

edit on further thought garehanman...you have been warned before...now it is time for the next step.your two week suspension starts now.

thank you and about the hipshot bridge, it would be easier but i want a huge challenge and the single string bridge on an angle like thispg_8string4.jpg would be awsome and i would have my dream guitar!

and .... I LOVE NOVAX AND CONKLIN GUITARS!

and when i get my bridge i will post again for your guy's help thanks to everyone.

Edited by malebolgia

About 6 months (or so) ago, there were like 4 or 5 guys here who were gung ho to make 8-strings (Meshuggah envy...). They seem to have disappeared completely...wha happ'n guys??

Well I Started One But Like Alot of My idea's It Got Put on the back burner Because I Came Up with Some more Good idea's And Then Thouse Where Moved Over To the Back burner and So on and So on, Im Runing Out of Room on My Back burner :D

And I found It Hard To Find All the Parts I needed with out going broke!!

(I did Seem To get There Anyway :D )

And Im Not A SH!t HOT Player and I Dont think that I would Every "REALLY" Use an 8-string much never mind Play it well, So I'll stick To my 7 and 6-string Guitar's For Now

!!METAL MATT!! B)

If you have the resources, don't be afraid to make your own parts. Dimensions are not set in stone. I built an 8 string for my first guitar and I didn't want the neck too wide so I modified some saddles and made a bridge plate so it is about the same overall spacing at the bridge as a 7 string. Also a 7 string pickup works for the string spread I chose to use. You will have to adjust your playing either way and get used to the extra strings so dont be afraid to do some things differently.