Randy Rhodes Re-finish + Repair

Ok, here is a small project i've been doing whilest i've been getting my tools and materials together for my first build.

I bought this guitar from ebay for just £70. It's a Japanese Randy Rhodes model with floyd-rose and some nice-sounding humbuckers.

I bought the guitar virtually blind as the pics that were on the listing were rubbish. I knew it was a wreck, but it was so cheap it would have been rude not to have bought it.

So, the project was inspired by the PG finishing tutorials, and I thought this would be an ideal candidate for a natural finish (seeing as my first guitar build will be natural).

Here are photo's of the progress - i'm upto the second danish-oil coating. Photo's are from the guitar as it was at arrival and up to the oil coating.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/byronblack/sets/737891/

The wood is pretty ugly to be honest, I can't identify it as there seem to be a number of woods used in a laminate, its quite odd. The wood has a green-ish tinge to it which doesn't come across that well.

Please just paint it. A natural finish will not do that guitar any good.

The guitar will be natural no matter how ugly it is as it's really an experiment to see how to do a good natural finish for my upcoming build, when it's done satisfactory, I will probably then put a different finish on it.

Get some nice Veneer for it. It will look amazing! It wont matter about the back then, cos no-one will see it when youre playing it and you could even paint the back.

I was thinking about that, but not sure how accurate I would be with routing and also the pointy bits are contoured on both sides which shows the edge-grain, I think a solid finish after i've done experimenting is the way to go for this one.

I havn't tackled the headstock yet, but will probably do the same as its a nice looking maple neck.

the wood is more then likely popular with the green tint in it

MzI

Thanks for that - is it likely that the wood is all poplar, or poplar mixed with something else, as the bottom part of the body is a lot paler/grey than the top part. Also, it seems to be a strange way to laminate the body, is it a case of the japanese factories laminating large blocks of wood to cut a number of bodies out, hence the odd proportions of the laminate?

Fair enough, I just didnt want to see what could bne a nice guitar end up with a natural finish on unnatractive wood. Good luck with the project.

Haggard - I definitly know what you mean, the wood is pretty grim, I just thougt it would be best to practice a natural finish on this rather than on expensive mahogany, i'm thinking of a nice metallic grey finish after this one to match the black hardware, this way I get to practice two different finishes without ruining a an expensive guitar :-)

The pin-stripe could be a bit tricky..

Ain't that the whole purpose of the guitar building thing? Don't tell me because it is too tricky you won't try to do it?

On the venneer thing, the edges would be sanded down, there is no way around it, unless you vaccum the venner on to comform to the edges. And then all you have to do is paint the back black with a burst covering the edges were the venneer ends.

The pin-stripe could be a bit tricky..

Ain't that the whole purpose of the guitar building thing? Don't tell me because it is too tricky you won't try to do it?

On the venneer thing, the edges would be sanded down, there is no way around it, unless you vaccum the venner on to comform to the edges. And then all you have to do is paint the back black with a burst covering the edges were the venneer ends.

I don't like the pin-stripes anyway! If i do the veneer thing, whats the best way of making sure i've got the correct routing? I was thinking of tracing the shape onto tracing paper, and then use this to cut out templates in ply - is there a more accurate way of doing that?

If i do the veneer thing, whats the best way of making sure i've got the correct routing? I was thinking of tracing the shape onto tracing paper, and then use this to cut out templates in ply - is there a more accurate way of doing that?

Yes, you know rougly where the center of your routs are going to be? Just drill a hole large enough to get a flush trim router bit (on with the bearing underneath the bit) and use the routs that are already there as a guide. The veneer should be thin enough that it wont be a problem to do it this way.

If i do the veneer thing, whats the best way of making sure i've got the correct routing? I was thinking of tracing the shape onto tracing paper, and then use this to cut out templates in ply - is there a more accurate way of doing that?

Yes, you know rougly where the center of your routs are going to be? Just drill a hole large enough to get a flush trim router bit (on with the bearing underneath the bit) and use the routs that are already there as a guide. The veneer should be thin enough that it wont be a problem to do it this way.

Excellent - why didn't I think of that ? :D

Luckily I recently purchased a router-bit set with underneath mounted bearings - cheers for all the input chaps, this should be a nice little experiment.

I actually kinda like it natural. I think it has character. I'd keep it as is because of that.

People are weird. They see this and they say "that's ugly wood" but then they see something topped with spalted maple and they go ga-ga.

Spalted = diseased, decayed and dead.

But, you know, your guitar. Have fun with it.

I actually kinda like it natural.  I think it has character.  I'd keep it as is because of that.

People are weird.  They see this and they say "that's ugly wood" but then they see something topped with spalted maple and they go ga-ga.

But, you know, your guitar.  Have fun with it.

But the thing is, it really isn't that nice a wood - rather featureless and a dull green. However, I do love natural wood finishes, so I think nitefly's suggestion of staining the front (and keeping it natural) is a good compromise, it will take the dull green-ness away and add some richness while at the same time keeping the natural wood and odd laminate dimensions.

I actually kinda like it natural.  I think it has character.  I'd keep it as is because of that.

People are weird.  They see this and they say "that's ugly wood" but then they see something topped with spalted maple and they go ga-ga.

But the thing is, it really isn't that nice a wood - rather featureless and a dull green. However, I do love natural wood finishes, so I think nitefly's suggestion of staining the front (and keeping it natural) is a good compromise, it will take the dull green-ness away and add some richness while at the same time keeping the natural wood and odd laminate dimensions.

It's really all perspective. You may like a piece of wood that others hate or you may hate a piece of wood that others like. In the end it's your guitar, have fun with it. I like the wood natural, it's so imperfect that it has kind of a cool vibe to me. Maybe I just think you have great finishing skillz. Either way, have fun, do what makes you happy.

It's really all perspective. You may like a piece of wood that others hate or you may hate a piece of wood that others like. In the end it's your guitar, have fun with it. I like the wood natural, it's so imperfect that it has kind of a cool vibe to me. Maybe I just think you have great finishing skillz. Either way, have fun, do what makes you happy.

Thank you for the compliment - i'm due to wax it tonight and tomorrow, so it should look that little bit better. I will post the final pics and see what people think.

I agree with you about it all being subjective though, and I can kind of see where are you coming from with regards that its so bad its cool kind of way..